Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How much weight should a newborn gain @ the 4 week check-up?

NYmommy

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 6:47 pm
My baby is 4 weeks old & only gained 1 lb 4 oz. My dr said its not that bad & if I'm concerned I should re-weigh him in a week. My older dd gained more than double! I know u cant really compare 2 kids but I'm afraid he doesnt eat enough! Hes extremely fussy baby & cries through the feedings! (maybe reflux, but he rarely spits up!) He is exclusively BF & when I pump & give a bottle he hardly takes 2 oz. He used to have bm every feeding for the first 2 weeks and this week he has 0-1 daily. He does have wet diapers. Should I be concerned? There isn't really anything I can do since he refuses to eat more!!!

esteer

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 8:30 pm
I was just today by dr with my 4 week old and he really gained nice 2lb 2oz I was surprise cause my first one was a reall lazy eater and didnt gain as nice as my newborn (but dont worry they grow up)

foreverhappy

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 8:41 pm
delete

Last edited by foreverhappy on Sun, Jul 10 2011, 7:54 pm; edited 3 times in total

rydys

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 3:59 am
A newborn should be "back to birthweight" by 10 days of life. After that it is an average of an ounce a day, but not to the letter. At 4 weeks, the baby is 18 days past the 10 day mark, so that is 1 pound 2 ounces, with the realization that some baby's gain more and some a little less.

malkie

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 6:04 am
A gain of 5-7 ounces per week is considered average for a breastfed baby. Your baby sounds just fine.

momaholic

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 8:47 am
My baby was gained 1.5 lbs by her 4 week visit. The dr told me skinny babies gain around a poung and chubby babies gain 2 or more pounds. no need to worry. Your baby will grow up sooner than you think.

clowny

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 9:00 am
If your baby is fussy, cries through a feeding and drinks less than 2 oz when you give him a bottle, I would probably talk to the doctor about it. Baby sounds unhappy. It might be that you are eating certain foods thats causing your baby to be gasy and therefore baby cries through the feeding.

Good Luck
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics