Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
What is a chicken cutlet?

ABC

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 2:32 pm
excuse my ignorance, but what is a chicken cutlet? is it the same as a chicken breast? or is it a schnitzel? Scratching Head

joy613

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 2:34 pm
It means a chicken breast without the bones. I guess what you're calling shnitzel.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 2:41 pm
boneless, skinless chicken breast

ABC

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 2:45 pm
Hashem loves me wrote:
It means a chicken breast without the bones. I guess what you're calling shnitzel.

ok this is still confusing.
to me a chicken breast is when you have the (skinned or not skinned) big chunky breasts.

schnitzel to me is when it has been flattened so it's really thin.

so which is the cutlets? I want to make something with chicken breasts (big and chunky ones), not schnitzels, and just dont know which recipes will wortk!

anyone got a good recipe for chicken breasts in some kind of sauce enough to serve with rice so that it wont be dry (not just a marinade)?

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 2:48 pm
I think in Israel they call any type of boneless chicken breast Shnitzel. However, to most other people Shnitzel specifically refers to boneless chicken breast that's been breaded and fried.

joy613

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 2:50 pm
Cutlet is what you're referring to as shnitzel (flattened). Although some cutlets are not so flat, so maybe that is what you are calling big and chunky chicken breasts. (unless you mean that they still have the bone, then there's more of a difference)
I'm not really sure I understand you correctly.

But I can't imagine why a recipe that calls for cutlets wouldnt work on big chunky pieces. It's really the same thing just one is chunky and one is flat. I never really differentiate.

joy613

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 2:53 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
I think in Israel they call any type of boneless chicken breast Shnitzel. However, to most other people Shnitzel specifically refers to boneless chicken breast that's been breaded and fried.

YES, that is actually a pet peeve of mine. Shnitzel means cutlets that are breaded and fried as you said. I can't stand when people call any cutlets 'shnitzel'. Thats why I wasnt so sure what OP was asking in the beginning.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 2:55 pm
My coworker calls cucumbers "pickles". Whe I asked her what she calls pickles, she drew a blank.

Much less discussing kirbies or Persian cucumbers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey