Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Baltimore residents- why do you send to TA/TI?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 17 2010, 8:20 pm
If you have a boy in one of those schools, why did you choose to send him there? Also, is it possible to get a boy into TI in first grade or is it pointless to even try?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 18 2010, 6:31 am
bump

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 9:59 am
We went to see both schools and were more impressed with the environment of one over the other.
Getting into TI for first grade will depend on the class. Next year's '10-'11 first grade is packed to the gills. I had a few friends whose kids were rejected in K. So doubt there would be a chance for anyone to try for next years first grade.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 8:04 am
In my opinion, it is worth it to try....I know a family that is moving out of Baltimore, and they have a kid in Pre1A this year, for example. There are probably other "stories," too...one kid might do Pre1A again, one family might switch their kid to TA, etc...

However, the general rule is that if you want your kid to go to TI you need to start in Kind.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 6:28 pm
I can't speak about TI, other than saying its an awfully long day... long week... long school year... for young children.

My boys have done wonderfully at TA. The school is SO WARM, elementary teachers are fantastic. Learning is great. School community of parents is wonderful. Its been around for 95 years already, they know how to educate boys.

Limudei chol isn't pushed to the back burner. This is important. Everyone, even Rosh Yeshiva's need to know how to write a cogent paragraph in English, spell correctly, do arithmetic, etc.

The elementary/middle school boys also get to see how the bigger boys shteig, because they're all on campus together. They see high schoolers learning into the night. They see the Bais Medrash guys and all the Rebbe's that live in the neighborhood as great examples of young and grown Jewish men who learn.

TA is a great school. If you would compare it to out of town, even NY school, you would see how rare of a place it is. I am SO SO SO happy at TA. Very Happy

amother

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 7:24 pm
I don't know if the OP is still "nogeah b'davar", but I have personal experience in both schools- in terms of teaching. honestly, I don't think the limudei chol is any better at TA. They are the same. I would say that the caliber of teachers is the same in both places. The elementary curriculum is roughly the same, except that reading in English is taught in 1st grade in TI, vs. TA (taught in Pre1A). But the curriculum and amount of material covered is the pretty much the same. Also, unfortunately, in both places, the turnover rate is pretty high (what can you expect with low salaries?)
From my experience at TI, the parent body is highly educated and values secular education, too.

I would say the main difference is that TA represents itself as a "community school." Both schools have a serious, yeshivish hanhala. However, TA will present itself as more open, welcoming, etc. TI, on the other hand, kind of says, "This is our school and our policies... If you don't like them, then don't send here." For example, TI has a rule that if a kid brings a non-Jewish book to read during free time, recess, etc.., it needs to be approved. TA would never make such a rule, as that would alienate a certain percentage of the parent body. There are some parents who would be fine with that, and others that wouldn't.

Hope that helps you! Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children