Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Concusion???

amother

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 5:29 am
My 2 month old baby just fell off the table... I feel like a horrible person and mother. I left her on her boppy lounger for a second and came back to her lying on the floor.
I called her dr. and he said not to bring her in... he said he can't really do anything!
she cried immediatly which I guess is good. but she continued to cry for almost an hour... I tried keeping her awake but she falls asleep and wakes up crying, she has no signs of bruising. she ate her usual ammount, spit/threw up a little, bit thats pretty nornal for her.
but it was a REALLY high fall.
im so scared for her.
I dont know if I should let her sleep or wat I should do!!!

cinnamon

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 5:42 am
Hug
You are not a horrible mother! these things happen more often then you think.

She is probably o.k but didn't the dr. tell you to take her to the hospital?
I would go to the e.r so they can check and make sure she is o.k

amother

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 6:02 am
the closest hospital is 40 min. Im in Israel but would have to get to yerushalayim. there is terem clinic but the dr said he does not want to expose her to the illnesss there.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 6:02 am
the closest hospital is 40 min. Im in Israel but would have to get to yerushalayim. there is terem clinic but the dr said he does not want to expose her to the illnesss there.

cinnamon

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 6:05 am
so what does he say you should do?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 6:06 am
I don't understand why your doctor told you not to bring her to him. He can do a basic check and tell you if she has a concussion or not.
What

amother

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 6:08 am
basicly just watch her. she seems ok now, but a little jumpy. I feel so bad, I put her down on the bed to change her and she jumnped up while I was doing it... arms flailing in the air and looked really scared.

poor thing...

cinnamon

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 6:21 am
that's just startle (sp?) instinct its supposed to be there I'm sure you've seen it before.
I also don't understand why the dr. told you not to bring her in or take her to terem to be evaluated I mean you don't really know what to watch for do you?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 8:32 am
she is eating ok and not throwing up more than usual... nothing looks bruised on her head or back side... she is sleeping after feedings, but she does that sometimes, so Im not sure its abnormal.
Im more worried that something could develope c'v's, b/c every thing I read says to monito r her for 24 hours....
I dont understand why the dr wont see her!
-maybe b/c he is the busiest pediatrician here!- ridiculous in my opinion, but the office has called us before and asked us to change appointments b/c he was too busy....

curlytop

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 9:25 am
Well if it makes you feel any better my almost 2 yr old pulled my (then) 5 week old off of a bed, I found the baby halfway under the bed. It was Friday night, my husband was in Shul, so I called Hatzalah and they took me to see the pediatrician in his house.
I was also concerned that I had no idea what to look for, she always spits up and sometimes is groggy (that's what newborns do, right). He checked her out and said BH she is ok.
I still don't forgive myself for leaving the baby on the bed, even though none of us were in the room. The 2 yr old was playing w us, and walked into the bedroom and (I think) just yanked her off.

But I am VERY surprised the dr. doesn't want to see you. My pediatrician, and Hatzalah, were concerned enough to put me and the baby in an ambulance on Shabbos (round trip, mind you). I would insist on seeing the dr. You will feel so much better about it.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 9:45 pm
my nephew, also about 10 weeks old slipped out of his carseat onto the concrete sidewalk & hit the front of his head & the dr didn't see the need to bring him in. He said to just watch him & not let him sleep (that's hard when they are exhausted from crying) poor poor you! I'm sure you've learnt your lesson for life. babies are not trustworthy, not even for a fraction of a second!

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 11:04 pm
the best thing is to keep an eye out for any signs - running to the dr can just make you all batty for nothing ...

repeated vomiting (not to be confused with spitting up)
dilated eyes
loss of consciousness (so you wake them up every hour to check but they have to sleep)
drainage, clear or bloody, from his nose, mouth, or ears

after 24 hours of keeping watch - you can go back to normal routine ...

the baby should be fine and you are not a horrible mother Hug

PIP

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 11:12 pm
This happened to me with daughter when she was 2 weeks old!! I went to get a better grip of the carseat, leaning her on the ledge (I thought she was strapped...my husband said she was not realizing someone had unstrapped her...) anyways, I put the carseat on the ledge of the porch, lost my grip and she fell flat on her head down 3 feet and hit the concrete. It was the scariest thing ever. We called the doctor and hatzalah and they both said the same thing. there is no need to bring her to the hospital just keep ice compresses wrapped in a towel so its not too cold at 5min intervals and keep an eye on her make sure she eats on time, doesnt seem lethargic (yeah a 2 week old! Ha!) and the other things greenfire mentioned. the doctor called back at her next scheduled feeding to make sure she was up and eating properly. B"H she was, but it was very traumatizing. Feel free to PM me. I felt like a failure.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics