Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Please help asap

sporty

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 9:54 pm
I have an 8 day old baby who I am exclusively nursing and I have 101 fever.
I am all achy.
I know I overdid it this week and didn't rest enough.....

sporty

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 9:58 pm
Oh my ques is what can I do about the baby, we have been co - sleeping....is he protected with my milk?

LibraMommy

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 10:06 pm
I would call up the pediatrician to make sure, but I remember getting all achy and feverish when my milk came in and I continued as usual with my newborn. I don't think you have to stay away from the baby.

imasinger

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 10:12 pm
I'd keep him nearby. If it felt better, you could put him in a bassinet next to your bed so you had a little distance and a little more ability to be comfortable when you're achy, but still have him within arm's reach.

A newborn is going to be spending enough time with you that whether or not you co-sleep won't make a huge difference in terms of his exposure.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 10:15 pm
Refuah Shelaima sporty!

And Mazel Tov!

Nicole

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 10:15 pm
If you are nursing (as you say you are) your baby will be fine. I would suggest you call your ob/gyn to let them know. Fever postpartum must be investigated.

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 10:16 pm
Your baby should be fine--but you must call your OB.

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 10:21 pm
you are probably fine and can continue feeding, but get checked out ASAP. call triage where you gave birth/had care (assuming it was hospital) and tell them your symptoms. I know someone who came down with a superbug after birth and had similar symptoms. she was not given the right treatment for a few weeks. if needed get a blood test.

eat well and rest as much as you can. it is very important for you to slow down.

refuah shleimah!

sporty

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 10:30 pm
Now I am a little scared.
I spoke to my OB and he felt it is an infection. He said I can wait overnight and come in to their office in the morning unless I get worse....otherwise I need to go to the ER so they can run tests on me.
Is it risky to wait overnight?
I took 3 motrin now and my fever went down slightly.
He said it's doubtful I am contagious...

sporty

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 10:52 pm
What is a superbug?
They think its bladder/urninary since I called Mon saying I felt like I still had to urinate after I went. That symptom went away by today but I have pain when I go to the bathroom.

gold21

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 11:12 pm
most likely, whatever is causing your fever is not contagious. dont worry. I had the same situation after having ds2, and was so nervous about the baby chas vesholom catching something, and it turned out I had a breast infection from nursing, which is not contagious. (whats a superbug and why would one think that sporty might have that??)

Meema2Kids

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 11:28 pm
sporty mazel tov and I hope you feel better soon. I've had both an infection and a stomach flu a shortly after birth (with different kids) and neither are fun! I think as long as your fever doesn't go way up it is ok to wait until morning to see doc or go to ER.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 11:30 pm
It probably isn't contagous so don't worry. Rest up, sleep well (if you can), and feel better.

Mazel tov on the birth!

Ronit

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 11:35 pm
oish Refuah shleima.

Please take care of yourself, & rest up.

penguin

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 11:44 pm
Two things to be VERY careful about:
breast infection (well, you can be very engorged when milk first comes in, but beware of any one very hard, sore spot, especially if red & hot to touch. If so, hot shower on the area & massage it while nursing to help milk flow)
uterine infection - can be very dangerous. I don't want to frighten you, but we know someone who had complications from this, so make sure to get seen immediately!

Quote:
Uterine Infections
Normally, the placenta separates from the uterine wall during delivery and is expelled from the private part within 20 minutes after giving birth. If pieces of the placenta remain in the uterus (called retained placenta), it can lead to infection.
An infection of the amniotic sac (the bag of water surrounding the baby) during labor may lead to a postpartum infection of the uterus. Flu-like symptoms accompanied by a high fever; rapid heart rate; abnormally high white blood-cell count; swollen, tender uterus; and foul-smelling discharge usually indicate uterine infection. When the tissues surrounding the uterus also are infected, pain and fever can be severe. Uterine infections usually can be treated with a course of intravenous antibiotics, which are used to prevent potentially dangerous complications such as toxic shock.

UTERINE & PELVIC INFECTION
Quote:
Symptoms of uterine infection include fever over 101°F, pelvic pain, elevated pulse, and subinvolution of the uterus. Risk factors include PROM, prolonged labor with numerous vaginal exams, manual rotation or other manipulations of the fetus during labor, maternal exhaustion, delayed delivery of the placenta, hemorrhage, uterine exploration (as for manual removal of the placenta or sequestered clots), postpartum dehydration, or improper perineal hygiene.
A prime cause of uterine infection is over-activity and exhaustion in the first few days postpartum. Most women do not resume care for other children and immediately resume normal activity after the birth unless there has been a totally uncomplicated delivery, with none of the precipitating factors cited above. Even then, the mothers should use common sense and take care of themselves completely, if they do feel good and can be up and about. The midwife should warn mothers having easy deliveries that bed rest is necessary postpartum not just to recover from birth, but from the entire pregnancy. Adequate rest permits oxytocin to involute the uterus, tone the private part, and facilitate breastfeeding, whereas stress and over-activity cause counter-effects of adrenaline to slow recuperation.

dolphin

Post Thu, Jan 28 2010, 10:08 am
ask your dr

sporty

Post Thu, Jan 28 2010, 12:00 pm
I have either a uti or breast infection. Got a bunch of mess from OB
he said they r safe for nursing
thanks so much for all replies....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics