Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
New babysitter - how to do this?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 2:37 pm
My babysitter does 4 hours a day, and has been with us for about six months. She is leaving at the end of February and I am starting to interview new people. What happens if I find someone I like who wants to start right away? Do I tell the new person to wait - or will they look for something else in that time if they need the money? Is it fair to tell the old babysitter to end sooner - I feel bad because she needs the money but hey, she is the one leaving me in the lurch, after we had originally made up she would work through June.

Also, do I need to give her a bonus or a gift? I gave her a week's salary as a bonus in December and I dont think I can afford something like that again.

freshie

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 2:45 pm
I would wait and see. If you like someone and they say they are willing to wait or it works out better for them then do so but if someone says they want to start now then go for it. I'm sure your babysitter realizes that. that's how babysitting jobs are and no you don't need to give a bonus if you cant afford it. it's a nice gesture but not a necessity.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jan 28 2010, 4:33 pm
I don't think it's necessary to pay her a bonus, esp if you already gave her one in December, and she's the one who's leaving. It's hard to answer what to do if you find a new nanny while your old one is still working--can you reduce her hours/days? Did you agree on notice period? Personally I feel if she was supposed to stay only till June it won't be terrible to let her go with something like 2 weeks notice period. Meanwhile can you ask the new nanny to either start in 2wks time and/or work part time/weekends? When I intereviewed nannies, I told the candidate that I was seeing other ladies so it may take as much as 10days to get back to them. If the feeling is mutual--the candidate thinks you're a good employer, she may be flexible, but that really depends on how hot/competitive the market is (ie are there many people trying to find a nanny?--somehow I don't think so as most find jobs at the beginning of school year or school terms.)

Also, in my case, I asked both the current and the new nannies to have about 1 week overlap, so that the current nanny can show her successor the daily routine/where the things are, etc. Plus I needed 2-3 mornings to explain the kitchen and the things in the house.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics