Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Freezing little hands

speciwoman

Post Fri, Jan 29 2010, 9:45 am
My baby's room is fairly cold at night, but still within reasonable ranges. I put him in warm pj's and a fleece sleeper blanket, and he seems fine. When he wakes, his head, ears, and body are warm, but his hands are always freezing little ice cubes! When he nurses in the middle of the night, I spend the whole time avoiding his little hands touching my skin!!

Does this seem like a problem? Overall I guess he's warm enough, but those hands...!!!

zaq

Post Fri, Jan 29 2010, 11:59 am
It's not dangerous, but why not put little socks or mitts on his hands at night? You can velcro them onto the cuff of the sleepers so they stay put.

goldie22

Post Sat, Jan 30 2010, 4:45 pm
I read that its fine for babies hands to be cold and you should check their temp from their body not hands.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Jan 30 2010, 4:50 pm
speciwoman wrote:
My baby's room is fairly cold at night, but still within reasonable ranges. I put him in warm pj's and a fleece sleeper blanket, and he seems fine. When he wakes, his head, ears, and body are warm, but his hands are always freezing little ice cubes! When he nurses in the middle of the night, I spend the whole time avoiding his little hands touching my skin!!

Does this seem like a problem? Overall I guess he's warm enough, but those hands...!!!
my daughter had that too when she was a little baby and I asked the doctor and he said that it is ok, no dangerous or anything like that. I would do what zaq said, put some kind of mitten or something on his hands and see if that helps.

Raisin

Post Sat, Jan 30 2010, 4:53 pm
zaq wrote:
It's not dangerous, but why not put little socks or mitts on his hands at night? You can velcro them onto the cuff of the sleepers so they stay put.

wouldn't that be obstructing their development?

merelyme

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 3:27 am
speciwoman wrote:

speciwoman, I am not a doctor but brace yourself. I am writing because you sound like a caring mom and I see two problems:
1 - your baby's hands should not be freezing. Please cover them or warm the room enough that his hands do not get so cold.
2 - I am bothered that you "spend the whole time [nursing him in middle of the night] avoiding his little hands touching your skin." Please, if your baby's hands are freezing in the middle of the night - warm them!
If this means holding them against your own warm body for a few minutes, so be it. They'll warm up quickly, and he's your baby!

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 4:04 am
merelyme wrote:
speciwoman wrote:

speciwoman, I am not a doctor but brace yourself. I am writing because you sound like a caring mom and I see two problems:
1 - your baby's hands should not be freezing. Please cover them or warm the room enough that his hands do not get so cold.
2 - I am bothered that you "spend the whole time [nursing him in middle of the night] avoiding his little hands touching your skin." Please, if your baby's hands are freezing in the middle of the night - warm them!
If this means holding them against your own warm body for a few minutes, so be it. They'll warm up quickly, and he's your baby!
as I wrote above, I had the same problem when my daughter was a little baby. I asked the doctor and he said that it was completely normal and not to worry about it.

freidasima

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 4:17 am
It may be normal but it doesn't sound happy.
I would sew large mittens that don't obstruct anything and velcro them to the cuffs of the sleeper at night to keep the hands warm. And I second the thought of warming the hands on your body while you are nursing or at least to cover them with something and try to warm them. Oy. Poor baby...

speciwoman

Post Mon, Feb 01 2010, 1:18 pm
merelyme wrote:

If it makes you feel any bettter, when I said I avoid his hands touching me, I meant on my bare chest. When I'm nursing him, I hold his hands in mine to warm them up.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Feb 01 2010, 1:32 pm
It's normal as their circulatory system is not as advanced as ours...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics