Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
My child getting a male therapsit
Previous  1  2

estibesty

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 10:42 am
flowerpower wrote:
If he decided to become a therapist for little children then he probably has patience for them. I have seen very good male therapists where I worked. One of my colleges now is a male therapist and he is excellent.

If you really don't think he needs speech therapy then do a few sessions and have it approved by the therapist. Once you get rid of it, and then you see he might need it, then it's very hard to get it back again.

I know therapist prob does for like 1/2 session I was talking to ruchel about a man being a gan teacher and taking care of 15 2 yr olds and changing there diapers
but thanx for the advice I will see what he thinks abou tmy sons speech he def. had problems in the past so mambe I jjust think its so perfect from what he came from

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 10:45 am
estibesty wrote:
oh at 2 yrs old I would rather a nurturing MOMMY then a man how does men have patience for other ppl 2 and 3 yr olds?

A mora is not a mommy. Some are closer to an army colonel or something LOL.

And some cheder rebbes are soooo gentle and great with kids.

Barbara

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 10:49 am
estibesty wrote:
oh and ruchel thats sick there are men teachers in gan where you are?

Good heavens!

What is wrong with men teaching, men nurturing, men being

You really need to get over this before you transfer this belief that males are somehow toxic to chidlren to your sons, and give them a real complex.

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 11:41 am
my son had a male special ed therapist at the age of 2.5. it was at home and although I didnt sit and watch, I was surreptitiously checking up on them (but I do that with all therapists, male or female). really, it was fine.

what I'm curious about is this:
estibesty wrote:
well he needs OT so my sons dr. wrote a letter so I said ask them to evalute him in his speech without realizing that the board of health does not evaluate they trust the dr. and send therapy staight .she sent the letter bec. I asked her too.

where do you live and who is your doctor that you can get therapy just cuz the doc says so? without an evaluation and meeting and deliberations and all that hassle?????

Barbara

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 12:11 pm
Twizzlers wrote:
my son had a male special ed therapist at the age of 2.5. it was at home and although I didnt sit and watch, I was surreptitiously checking up on them (but I do that with all therapists, male or female). really, it was fine.

what I'm curious about is this:
estibesty wrote:
well he needs OT so my sons dr. wrote a letter so I said ask them to evalute him in his speech without realizing that the board of health does not evaluate they trust the dr. and send therapy staight .she sent the letter bec. I asked her too.

where do you live and who is your doctor that you can get therapy just cuz the doc says so? without an evaluation and meeting and deliberations and all that hassle?????

Curious about that myself. Also wondering where the Board of Health provides services.

estibesty

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 12:16 pm
I live in New Jersey and the way the board of health works is through my insurance(I think) so my dr. had to give a refferal and thats it. oh and by the way I have americhoice from the state

estibesty

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 12:16 pm
and barbara he coming to my home

dolphin

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 5:51 pm
A male is fine especialy with your SON-Hello? son-with a daughter I might be uncomfortable but male therapists are just as good as females and especialy a male for a male ie even better

pgk

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 6:40 pm
I actually know a frum guy from Lakewood who is a SLP (I don't think this is who you are referring to because I think he works in Bklyn). I think he went into the field specifically because there are many (chassidim in his particular situation) people who prefer having a male therapist for their sons, at least as soon as they are no longer small children.

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 10:53 pm
estibesty wrote:
oh at 2 yrs old I would rather a nurturing MOMMY then a man how does men have patience for other ppl 2 and 3 yr olds?

I know quite a few [straight] men who most absolutely have patience for other people's 2 and 3 year olds!
And it's not that uncommon in modern times. It's no longer 1950 and roles have shifted--there's no more embarrassment in a man being the nurturer.
At least in my neighborhood (okay maybe not so much the frum people--but in my building...) I know quite a few stay at home dads. Mommy works and Daddy is home all day not only "babysitting" but doing EVERYTHING from cleaning, grocery shopping, and being involved in full-learning activities with their toddlers. My kids know other "daddies" from the park. And yes, sometimes we discuss things like the benefits of cloth diapers and what kind of sippy cups are good. I've asked other dads for advice on carseats, baby soap, etc.

estibesty

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 10:58 pm
im not knocking stay at home dads I was just doubting men could watch a whole group of OTHER PPLS babys the same as a women

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 11:00 pm
estibesty wrote:
im not knocking stay at home dads I was just doubting men could watch a whole group of OTHER PPLS babys the same as a women

Whyever not?
I've seen it done too!

Also, what does "knocking" mean in this context?

Sleep

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 11:34 pm
I'm an SLP in NJ. Though I don't work for the board of health-I think they follow the general procedure-that an evaluator comes for abt an hour-to do the evaluation. If your child is aproved then a therapist will be set up for your case, usually a different therapist than the one who performed the evaluation. If you are uncomfortable about the male-wait to see if he is aproved, and then request a female therapist. If you need a recommendation-I have quite a few friends who do work for the board of health.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 11:43 pm
With all the 'hype' now on about Thrapists , Teachers, parents, siblings Dr's, abusing
I would be quite scared fro my child too to have a male therapist,nevermind anyone

I was told not to be in denial so guess where that has left me ... Rolling Eyes

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 11:49 pm
estibesty wrote:
\So she calls me she is sending a speech therapist and he is a MAN should I feel uncomfortable to have a man spend time with my child and should I feel bad that my son really talk pretty good?

estibesty wrote:
oh and ruchel thats sick there are men teachers in gan where you are?

estibesty wrote:

Seriously??? Are you even reading what you're writing? Frankly I think you need a therapist yourself to get over some serious gender-role issues you seem to have.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers