Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Think I can get away with this??

5S5Sr7z3

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 9:20 pm
I currently have a cleaning lady, she actually does quite a good job, but lately she's been leaving about 15-20 minutes earlier than she should, before giving me change for that. I work at home now, and I do have some time to clean, but my husband refuses to let her go till after Pesach. Truth is, she's getting on my nerves. She comes every wednesday, and if I clean up on Monday and Tuesday, I just dont have enough work for her (since I dont work so many hours anymore). What I was thinking of doing, was letting her go, doing the cleaning myself, and putting away the money my husband leaves me every week to pay her. IDK yet what I would do with it, but it would add up pretty quickly.

What do you ladies think? Think I could get away with it???

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 10:49 pm
Get away with what? Is this about your husband not knowing you stopped using a cleaner and having the money, or about managing to clean without her?

mltjm

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 11:32 pm
I don't think you should hide things about money from your husband. Unless, of course, he's the guy who will gamble away any dollar not tied down, which eh doesn't sound like. I vote to save the money and get a cleaning crew right before pesach.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 11:33 pm
I think you'll appreciate having her next month, erev pesach.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Feb 05 2010, 8:48 am
I would try it, and see if DH notices. If not, then the house is obviously just as clean as when she is around.

Then tell DH. Tell him you wanted to surprise him by saving money and still having the house clean.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 05 2010, 9:12 am
Your husband wants the best for you. Sometimes they get on our nerves, but then again whatever they do is one thing less we have to do. You can use your time to do those things that she cannot do for you.
If you want to try skipping her, play around with it, tell her not this week, I have an appointment, and by skipping a week here and there nothing will happen....and yet you will not lose her. After Pesach you can discuss it with your husband, maybe once in two weeks is enough for you...mine is so unreliable, and is always calling in sick, so although I use her twice a week, she usually can't make it at least one day or the other. I will always find work for her, no matter what. There is always a closet, a room, a cabinet that can be redone, and I try to rotate and do whatever is messiest first. I will make her wash walls, dust ceilings, do windows, or the light fixtures, but I will never let her go home early. She usually never gets to do any of the above, because she is so slow, and getting only slower...

amother

Post Fri, Feb 05 2010, 10:14 am
My sister's apartment was inhabited by mice. Lots of them. So she made a cheshbon, the next "outside" ,money she earns, will go for mouse-proofing. An opportunity presented itself, and she got a short term job offer, which covered the exterminating expense. But, suddenly, before she arranged anything with the exterminator, the mice stopped running around!
She called me and asked me if it's appropriate to hide the money she received already, (her dh wasn't aware she got the money already) and rather use it to take a vacation with her dh she so desperately needs. I told her to take a wait-and-see approach. What if, upon making reservations, a mouse comes by?
Turns out, there were mice, but her dh wanted to spare her the fear everytime she saw one, that he hid the fact from her, while she hid the money from him! All well intentioned hiding!
Now her apartment is mouse-proof and her vacation will wait. And both learned "you can run, but you can't hide" lol!

5S5Sr7z3

Post Fri, Feb 05 2010, 11:22 am
I have no problems cleaning my house, and I now have the time. What I meant was that I want to put away that money for something, IDK what yet. My DH wont gamble away the money, but it'll be spent on other stuff, obviously. We usually dont manage to save anything by then end of the month, so if cleaning lady money is budgeted in, I'll be able to put that away. Pesach cleaning is no biggie for me - I have 2 kids, my apt isnt that messy. bedrooms are done, dining table and chairs need a cleaning, and then the kitchen. There's not much that the lady would do that I cant. I dont let her near my china closet anyway. Sometimes my afternoon is really boring, cuz if I clean, I wont have anything to give her to do. I work at home, I hate sitting in a mess.... I hope my rambling made sense....

5S5Sr7z3

Post Fri, Feb 05 2010, 11:23 am
and my kids really do enjoy helping me. I could always give them the pleasure of scrubbing their artwork off the walls Smile

Marigold

Post Fri, Feb 05 2010, 11:43 am
How many hours does she come in for? Maybe you can cut down a little and have her come in only for the tougher jobs (scrubbing floors, bathrooms etc) and by this save some money and still have her?

For myself, I could never do away with my cleaning lady. If I would be able to afford it I would have one every day for 3 hrs. But alas I don't so I have to be satisfied with 2xweek.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Fri, Feb 05 2010, 11:52 am
Just 2 hours. It's not that I mind the cleaning, and besides, it's great exercise to scrub floors Wink . I got her when I was working full time. She basically does my kitchen, bathroom, and linens. Which, if I straighten up every day, wouldnt become such a mess in the first place...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry