Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Keeping children home from school when not sick

amother

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 4:34 pm
When any of my children are sick and stay home from school, I really enjoy their company and the full day of one on one...the interesting little nuggets of conversation that slip out during the day, that just wouldn't happen when all the other kids are around.

I was brought up (and still feel this way) that school is not something that you miss unless you are sick. I feel like keeping them home one at a time everynow and then, but how do I explain this to them - wihout them thinking that school is something that can just be skipped.(they are in 2nd grade, 1st, Pre 1A etc)

life is so hectic and even with the times that are carved out for special attention with each child, it is nothing like spending a full day alone with one child (give or take a baby or two crawling around as well).

I find that it is also so beneficial to them to get a chance to play with their toys/color etc without ANY of the other kids around them. KA"H We have a big/little family (that is a big family of only little kids right now) so they tend to get into each others space and most of the time they have to deal with divided attention. sharing space/toys etc (not bad skills to learn, but always nice to have a break).

Taking one child out at a time on sundays would mean each child gets a turn once every 2 months or so, with limited time...

happyone

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 4:42 pm
I agree it's a great thing to do for children. It also helps foster a great relationship with them. In busy households we sometimes tend to miss out on the little and big things in our childrens' lives.
I do it occassionally too, when I feel a child needs some TLC. I officially tell them it's "special time" just with Mommy. They do know school is important, and they can't just take off whenever they want. However, it's once in a while that they get that special day off. It's a time they will cherish forever. I get to hear about school issues, concerns, things that make them happy, that I otherwise wouldnt get to discuss in day to day "hecticity"!

Motek

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 4:01 pm
you sound like a devoted mother amother and you're right, there's nothing like having them around, dropping those nuggests etc.

BUT aside from what are the kids thinking when you tell them they can take off from school, a day off from school can be hard - missing new pesukim, intros to new subjects, Pesach material or whatever they miss that day

maybe you can work out something over Shabbos and Sunday in which each child may not get an ENTIRE day with you, but a nice chunk

hisorerus

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 5:34 pm
I had a secular principal in elementary school who used to RECOMMEND that parents keep their kids home a few times a year for TLC days.

queen

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 6:07 pm
would being in touch w/ teacher be a possability? Assuming you feel comfortable letting teacher know what you want to do- they can recommend a day not too much learning will be missed.

what a wonderful way to give kids attention while in a big family!

Tzippy

Post Fri, May 05 2006, 1:18 am
Read the new book by Chaim Walder that has new short stories in it. There's an amazing inspiring story tiitled "Wednesdays with Ima".

Meema2Kids

Post Fri, May 05 2006, 8:42 am
In our family, it seems to work out that each child has a special alone time with Ema and Abba - my oldest doesn't nap, so she spends that time with me while sibs are asleep, or sometimes stays up late. The 2nd the only time he has is if he stays up late, but sometimes it's worth it. The 3rd is while baby is napping and others are at school. And the baby.. well she has lots of cuddling time. Smile So there may be other times you can sneak in these special one on one times with your children other than during the school day.

SK

Post Fri, May 05 2006, 1:14 pm
Quote:
In our family, it seems to work out that each child has a special alone time with Ema and Abba - my oldest doesn't nap, so she spends that time with me while sibs are asleep, or sometimes stays up late. The 2nd the only time he has is if he stays up late, but sometimes it's worth it. The 3rd is while baby is napping and others are at school. And the baby.. well she has lots of cuddling time. So there may be other times you can sneak in these special one on one times with your children other than during the school day.

My baby gets plenty of attention from me (and from all her sisters) -it's the rest that dont (they do get plenty of attention, just not the individual kind). I sit with them for a while each night at bedtime.
My girls are all very close in age, and right now their schedules don't differ that much to allow that alone time (no naps anymore).They all seem to want to do the same activities all the time (even when I ask one to come into the kitchen to 'help' for alone time with me, it doesnt take more than a few seconds for the rest of them to trickle in and join!) I guess that's what led up to me writing the original post.

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 05 2006, 1:46 pm
My parents kept me home when they knew there would be something they didn't want me to learn about (I went to public school).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics