Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
What age do you stop giving birthday gifts?

amother

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 8:34 pm
I was wondering what age do you stop giving gifts to your nieces and nephews?

KAlex

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 3:45 am
My aunts and uncles still do! It's a standard (small) amount of money on one side, sometimes with a token gift. (That's four families, including ten cousins. The two DHs are new this year, but probably included.) On that side all but two of the cousins are now adults.

My mother's brother is much more generous, but there were only him and my mother, with two children each. There we're all adults, with the youngest 24.

I think this is family based, and you should probably discuss with your siblings/in-laws what you all think appropriate, so that everyone is comfortable.

(As for what we do - well I don't have any yet, and we have things for my DH's nieces and nephews - all children - but haven't got to the post office yet...)

fiddle

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 3:48 am
what age do you start? never even heard of this.

freidasima

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 3:52 am
For those who give, usually when they have children you start giving the next generation.

LeahW

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 5:57 am
I can't afford to give to all my nieces and nephews for every birthday, but if I know this niece likes needlepoint and that one likes a certain type of doll, and I see something special, I'll buy it. The bad thing is I usually end up buying for the girls and not the boys. My siblings and their spouses do the same. They'll send out a check for a big occasion, but when it comes to birthdays... it's not affordable and sadly not all birthdays are remembered.

lizard8

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 7:53 am
depends on EVERYTHING!!! How many do you have? how much are you able to afford? Do your Siblings buy your kids gifts?Are you close to them......

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 11:20 pm
Right now I only have one niece and she only had one birthday so I can't really answer...
In my family, growing up, we used to get gifts from aunts and uncles--nothing major--always a card and maybe a few dollars.
Now, I get cards from my aunts (for myself) and I still get birthday money from one great aunt and my grandmothers. My husband also gets birthday money from one of his uncles.
I think it's sweet!

Note: My husband and I have pretty small families--not sure if I'd feel this way about gift giving if I had so many cousins and nieces.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Feb 12 2010, 7:40 am
My uncle still gives me. Sometimes my great uncle too. They also give my dd.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics