Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Using Blogger as a Website For Affiliate Advertising

zipporah

Post Mon, Jan 18 2010, 12:35 pm
I'm thinking of buying a domain name from Go Daddy and pointing it to a Blogger page, and using Google Adsense or affiliate ads for passive income. I have an idea for about 50 pages of static content already, so I was thinking of revising the blogger template to create more of a website feel. Then, if the ads generated enough income to sustain hosting, I could move to a fully separate site later on.

Does this seem like a good idea?

Seraph

Post Mon, Jan 18 2010, 12:46 pm
I dont know how easy it is to redesign blogspot for a website feel as opposed to a blog. Have you been to blogspot's html editing place? There arent many documents that you have access to. You can change the layout of the blog in general but you can't create new pages that arent blog posts on blogger. There's no file directory on blogspot. You can on wordpress.com but you can't host a domain name on wordpress for free as you could on blogger.

Any specific reason you want a godaddy domain name? Google sells them for 9 dollars a year through blogspot.

zipporah

Post Mon, Jan 18 2010, 1:39 pm
Seraph wrote:
I dont know how easy it is to redesign blogspot for a website feel as opposed to a blog. Have you been to blogspot's html editing place? There arent many documents that you have access to. You can change the layout of the blog in general but you can't create new pages that arent blog posts on blogger. There's no file directory on blogspot. You can on wordpress.com but you can't host a domain name on wordpress for free as you could on blogger.

Any specific reason you want a godaddy domain name? Google sells them for 9 dollars a year through blogspot.

I found a website that gives instructions for making the blogger site look like a webpage, by removing the timestamps and comments. Apparently, you create the content first, and then have the home page be your last post.

I have a code for the domain name from Godaddy for 7.49 USD, plus I can use PayPal to pay Godaddy, and I have USD funds in my PayPal account.

Seraph

Post Mon, Jan 18 2010, 1:55 pm
zipporah wrote:
Seraph wrote:

I found a website that gives instructions for making the blogger site look like a webpage, by removing the timestamps and comments. Apparently, you create the content first, and then have the home page be your last post.

I have a code for the domain name from Godaddy for 7.49 USD, plus I can use PayPal to pay Godaddy, and I have USD funds in my PayPal account.
Oh I see. I found it simpler to just use the same website for everything, even if it was 2 dollars more.
I think google takes paypal.

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 9:28 pm
I find self hosted wordpress a whole heck of a lot less limiting than blogspot. Just my opinion!

Seraph

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 12:38 am
TwinsMommy wrote:
I find self hosted wordpress a whole heck of a lot less limiting than blogspot. Just my opinion!
But more expensive, no? Don't you have to pay for hosting on wordpress if you have a different domain name?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 10:01 am
What you can do is host a domain elsewhere, and then use wordpress code (it's downloadable) to run a content-management-system run site....
I have done a bunch of wordpress sites, but none for affiliates...affiliates in my programming experience have been for online stores which I run with other programs.

Joomla is another option to look into if you will host your site elsewhere.

pacifier

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 10:16 am
why don't you make a real website out of your new domain name? this way you'll have a website and a blog.
there are free websites templates available on line.

zipporah

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 3:17 pm
pacifier wrote:
why don't you make a real website out of your new domain name? this way you'll have a website and a blog.
there are free websites templates available on line.

I don't want to pay monthly fees to host the site if there isn't enough interest to cover the costs. By forwarding the domain name to Blogger, I can test the waters for less than $10 for a year. Then, if there is a large amount of interest I can host a separate website later.

Regarding Wordpress, from what I can tell you can only add affiliate programs to a Wordpress site if you are hosting a site separately.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 3:24 pm
Blogger is cheap and easy. Go for it!!!

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 1:46 pm
seraph- yes. you get what you pay for and I pay for self hosted wordpress since it's worth it to me. I make plenty of money off my blogs.

If you're not sure whether you're going to make any money and want to do something free then yes, blogger is a way to get started.

TwinsMommy

Post Sat, Feb 13 2010, 11:51 pm
somewhere on imamother, Vintage Modern was talking about setting up a Melave Malka blog hop for more blog traffic and networking amongst each other-- can't find that post, but since we're talking about blogging here-- those of you who blog, come join the Melave Malka blog hop. You can read about it here at my latest post on Free Skin Care Help: http://freeskincarehelp.com/?p=71
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers