Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Brisket: slicing question

amother

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 11:26 am
This is for my friend: she has a wonderful Cutco knife that she uses to slice brisket during the year. She's making brisket for Pesach and doesn't have a sharp enough knife to slice thin. Any suggestions for something not too expensive and what kind of cutting board to cut it on? TIA

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 12:37 pm
While I favor high quality, very sharp non-serrated knives (I prefer Wustof) for this; I have found that if you don't have one like that, and if you refrigerate the meat first, you can do an acceptable job with a serrated knife that is finely serrated.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 2:11 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
While I favor high quality, very sharp non-serrated knives (I prefer Wustof) for this; I have found that if you don't have one like that, and if you refrigerate the meat first, you can do an acceptable job with a serrated knife that is finely serrated.

I agree with the very sharp non-serrated knife suggestion.
Ask for a good boning knife.
I buy these at the local hardware store.
http://www.instawares.com/boni.....565-2
The blade says Davpol Stainless Steel Made in Portugal.
I think it's less than $20.
And definately bring the roast to a very cold temp in the refrigerator before slicing.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 2:41 pm
Knives are an investment. If she can't kasher hers, what about buying and putting away for Pesach so she has it each year ?

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 5:50 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Knives are an investment. If she can't kasher hers, what about buying and putting away for Pesach so she has it each year ?

I agree completely. A few years ago I bought myself one (kind to use for slicing roasts) Wustof knife that I put away for Pesach.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 5:54 pm
You guys are wonderful! Thanks

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 6:02 pm
ra_mom wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

And definately bring the roast to a very cold temp in the refrigerator before slicing.

I just looked at the link you've given, andwhile it may be a good sharp knife, I think a 6" knife is probably too small to slice a brisket well.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 6:02 pm
I would also add a knife sharpener when you purchase a knife so that you can keep it sharp.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 7:49 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

I just looked at the link you've given, andwhile it may be a good sharp knife, I think a 6" knife is probably too small to slice a brisket well.

I do not like large knives. I prefer sharp medium sized ones and I make beautiful slices with them. But I do like the blade to be a little wider than the one in the picture.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen