Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Do you celebrate mother's day?
Previous  1  2

chen

Post Fri, May 12 2006, 7:58 am
as to mother's day in the USA: this from: http://www.nwhp.org/events/mom......html

Given the following possibilities,
how many of us could pick the right answer?
Mother's Day began:

In 1858, when Anna Jarvis, a young Appalachian homemaker, organized "Mother's Work Days" to improve the sanitation and avert deaths from disease-bearing insects and seepage of polluted water.

In 1872, when Boston poet, pacifist and women's suffragist Julia Ward Howe established a special day for mothers --and for peace-- not long after the bloody Franco-Prussian War.

In 1905, when Anna Jarvis died. Her daughter, also named Anna, decided to memorialize her mother's lifelong activism, and began a campaign that culminated in 1914 when Congress passed a Mother's Day resolution.

The correct answer: All of the above. Each woman and all of these events have contributed to the present occasion now celebrated on the second Sunday in May.

The cause of world peace was the impetus for Julia Ward Howe's establishment, over a century ago, of a special day for mothers. Following unsuccessful efforts to pull together an international pacifist conference after the Franco-Prussian War, Howe began to think of a global appeal to women.

...Howe's version of Mother's Day, which served as an occasion for advocating peace, was held successfully in Boston and elsewhere for several years, but eventually lost popularity and disappeared from public notice in the years preceding World War I.

For Anna Jarvis, also known as "Mother Jarvis," community improvement by mothers was only a beginning. Throughout the Civil War she organized women's brigades, asking her workers to do all they could without regard for which side their men had chosen. And, in 1868, she took the initiative to heal the bitter rifts between her Confederate and Union neighbors.

The younger Anna Jarvis was only twelve years old in 1878 when she listened to her mother teach a Sunday school lesson on mothers in the Bible. "I hope and pray that someone, sometime, will found a memorial mother's day," the senior Jarvis said. "There are many days for men, but none for mothers."

...The Governor of West Virginia proclaimed Mother's Day in 1912; Pennsylvania's governor in 1913 did the same. The following year saw the Congressional Resolution, which was promptly signed by President Woodrow Wilson.

Honoring and loving our mothers every day of the year doesn't mean we can't have a day specially dedicated to them. lehavdil elef alfei havdolos, we remember the churban every day of our lives, but we still have a day dedicated to its commemoration. It's only if the "official" mother's day is the only day we honor them, that the day becomes meaningless.

shopaholic

Post Fri, May 12 2006, 9:57 am
There's nothing wrong with showing your mother a little appreciation, although when I taught, we made mothers day gifts but taught the kids that in the Jewish world, EVERY day is mothers Day!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 12 2006, 11:03 am
I sent my mom a card.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics