Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Is there a way to remove mold off bath toys?

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 10:59 pm
or do I have to toss them?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 11:07 pm
I stopped buying rubber duckys and such because water would get inside and mold would grow in there.
Now I only use solid hard plastic boats, and foam toys that stick to the wall. I bought great bathtub/toy netbags that stick to and hang from the wall for the foam toys, so they air dry as they hang.

I once had a bit of mold in hard toy mentchies, from being in the bath. I was going to chuck them since the mold was still there after I ran them through the washing machine. Then I decided to soak them in hot water and detergent for a day or two, and the mold just came off with Q-tips 1-2-3. This was because the mentchies were hard plastic, and not soft rubber ducky types with holes in them for water to seep in.

Ronit

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 11:11 pm
Are my kids deprived?

No bath toys here.

SingALong

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 11:12 pm
I think anything with bleach would kill mold. I never tried it but I imagine putting the toys to soak in bleach should do it just be careful that stuff is strong, I would wear gloves and then maybe put it through a good rinse to make sure there's no residue of bleach left I wouldn't want it in teh bath with my kids

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 11:44 pm
My kids love those squeezie rubber duckies or vehicle squeezies but they get mold and ichy black stuff inside and it comes out when they squeeze them. I can't think of a way to clean them.

I do have hard plastic mentchies and boats. Maybe I will try detergent. I'm wary of using bleach since my baby likes to teeth on the toys.

Ronit, shpritz bottles and negal vasser cups are some of the best "toys"! Most of the boats and stuff that I have are toys that I used to play with as a kid. Smile

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 11:48 pm
HAPPYMOMMY wrote:
My kids love those squeezie rubber duckies or vehicle squeezies but they get mold and ichy black stuff inside and it comes out when they squeeze them. I can't think of a way to clean them.
I do have hard plastic mentchies and boats. Maybe I will try detergent. I'm wary of using bleach since my baby likes to teeth on the toys.

Ronit, shpritz bottles and negal vasser cups are some of the best "toys"! Most of the boats and stuff that I have are toys that I used to play with as a kid. Smile

Those have to be tossed Sad

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 12:56 am
Rubber duckies? Toss. Other stuff, depending on what it is, I wash it in VERY hot water and vinegar/bleach etc... in the machine and it's as good as new. If it isn't, I toss it as well.

Ronit

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 9:32 am
Oh sure they play with cups!

What can be more fun than showering your lil sibling with as much water as possible. LOL

louche

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 1:59 pm
Rubber and plastic do great with bleach. And in future remove bath toys and dry them after the bath. Ronit, my kids didn't have much in the way of "bath toys" either. What went in, if anything, was regular plastic toys or household items, which were removed after the bath, dried off and returned to the general toy box. I don't believe they were deprived.

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 11:57 pm
Just an update. As I was looking for the bleach I found a mold removal spray (bought a while ago for repairing a leak...). It worked like a charm! I did toss the squeezies though.

Thanks everyone!

ozfest

Post Fri, Mar 12 2010, 1:31 am
there was actually a news item on TV the other day about bath toys. the bottom line was not to use toys with little holes that allow water to get trapped inside, such as those squirting fish, squeaking duckies, etc. and to dry and disinfect the toys nightly...and if you have black, mouldy toys throw them out!
it was frightening the way they talked about the bacteria in the bath tub....and on tonight's news it was all about bacteria in the washing machine....I gotta stop watching the news.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry