Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Name order

amother

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 12:55 pm
Between: Batya Rochel or Rochel Batya? Which do you think flows/sounds nicer? FYI, we'll probably be calling her Batya, anyway.
To the next part: I happen to like Batya Rochel better, the way it sounds and for the fact we'd use Batya. However--- our last name begins with an A, so her initials would be B-R-A... I know it is not a terrible word in the least, but maybe she'd get made fun of? Though, I don't really plan on using Rochel, who knows who'd insist on using her whole name? (I can think of a few :-)
Thanks!

chaylizi

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 1:00 pm
I like the way Rochel Batya flows better. I had to add a name to my son's name & I added it at the beginning because it sounded better, but we call him by his second name (the first name of the person he is named after) and we're not likely to use his first name much.

Kugel lover

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 1:01 pm
I like Rochel Batya!

busydev

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 1:06 pm
I like rochel batya better as well. and I have a few friends that have two names but go by the second

mominlkwd

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 1:06 pm
I also like Rochel Batya. We call my daughter by her second name.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 1:11 pm
Nice of you to consider the initials. You always hear of funny initial orders and wonder what the parents were thinking Tongue Out
I don't personally have a preference but I wanted to say that I've heard it both ways.
I had 2 Bassie's in my class. One was Basya Rochel and the other Rochel Basya so I guess either way would work.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 2:08 pm
amother wrote:
Nice of you to consider the initials. You always hear of funny initial orders and wonder what the parents were thinking Tongue Out
I don't personally have a preference but I wanted to say that I've heard it both ways.
I had 2 Bassie's in my class. One was Basya Rochel and the other Rochel Basya so I guess either way would work.

You a Detroiter?

Rodent

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 4:24 pm
Batya Rochel. Everyone I know who has gone by the middle name has hated it, especially on forms. Even if not for that I prefer the name used everyday to be the first one.

And the name is actually Bitya. Not interested in people's comments, just informing you should you not be aware.

MommyZ

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 4:26 pm
I agree with the OP- Batya Rochel. If my baby boy had been a girl his name would have been Batya Chaya after my DH's grandmother and a friend who passed away from cancer in her early 20's.

Tova

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 4:41 pm
My son is Yisrael Meir, after the Chofetz Chaim. We call him Meir.

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 4:42 pm
I like the way Rochel Batya sounds better.

I am known to most people by my middle name only. I don't find it confusing really--although on legal things I use my first name (drs., all my I.d.) If I need to--like maybe 3 or 4 times I can think of I explained it to someone--wasn't really hard--all you have to do is say, "My legal name is ________."

amother

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 6:42 pm
Thanks for all the opinions, though I must say I am surprised how many like R.B. better! I think I like the other way better bec. I don't care so much for the name Rochel (no offense, please!), so I like the way it sounds second....? But, we sort of have to and want to use the name anyway- bec. of the person.

So, nobody thinks it would matter about the initials if do it B.R.A.?

Plus, I think we are going to have her legal name as just Batya or Batya R.. For my son we have his legal name as his first name then his middle initial, so I don't mind doing that again. Even if we decide on R.B. as her "name."

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 7:34 pm
Come to think of it, I know a Rachel Batya.
Wonderful person!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names