Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Getting toddler to adjust to different time zone

outoftowngirl

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 8:49 pm
We are going away to a hotel on the West Coast for Pesach I"H with our ds who is 19 months. My concern is how to get him adjusted to the time difference so he's not going to sleep at 4pm and getting up at 4am. I know from a trip we just took to Texas a few weeks ago keeping him up past his bedtime was not fun. He started acting up and then was almost impossible to get to go to sleep and he was getting up an hour earlier in the morning. We ended up keeping him on NY time which was fine because it was a short trip. However, a 3 hour time difference is going to be a lot harder then a 1 hour difference and it's a lot longer of a trip. Help!!! Anyone have any suggestions, I heard from someone to try putting him in 15 minutes later at night and keep adding 15 minutes each night. The problem is I can't hold off his bed time while we're still in NY for 3 hours!!! Anyone who's been in a similar situation what did you do?

6coop

Post Fri, Mar 26 2010, 1:17 am
Your body's sleep cycles will naturally adjust to the time zone that you are in over the course of a few days. To help your ds adjust more quickly, I wouldn't say to start while you're still in NY, because it probably will be harder to adjust here (because his body is already adjusted) and it would take a long time to try (15 minutes a night will take 12 days), in addition to the fact that travel alone can mess up your body's natural rhythms. Wait until you get there and at first try to keep him up the extra hour (5:00pm -5:00am isn't that bad!) Then try 2 hrs, etc. until he's adjusted. Good luck! You'll probably need it for adjusting when you come home! Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics