Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Kippahs shrunk in the wash

cbt

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 2:08 am
My son's kippahs keep ending up in the wash and shrinking. Any ideas how to get them back to size?
Thanks

grin

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 2:44 am
I don't know of any way to restore the size. In the future, I suggest you wash them in cold water only and don't put them in the dryer.

louche

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 5:26 pm
If they're velvet, you're stuck. If they're srugot, wet them, then s-t-r-e-t-c-h them as much as you can on your own head or his. If you have a sheitel form, pin them to the form and leave them till dry. If you have none, place them over an inverted cereal bowl to dry.

anonymom

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 8:53 pm
I dont know how bad yours are shrunk, but sometimes, you can put them on the kids head and the body heat will help the wrinkles come out and the shape to improve after washing.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 9:09 pm
I stretch the velvet ones all the time.

turn it upside down like a bowl, hold it under a faucet and let the entire thing fill with water on till its nice and wet and shaped right.

Then gently stretch it with your fingers till it looks about right.

Place the kippa on the widest part of a Styrofoam shaitel head, use pins to stretch it out as fas as possible.

let dry, and remove. Perfect every time

diva

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 10:31 pm
Do the shaitel head method all the time- eventually the yamulkahs do fade and shred.

wwmom

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 10:45 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
I stretch the velvet ones all the time.

turn it upside down like a bowl, hold it under a faucet and let the entire thing fill with water on till its nice and wet and shaped right.

Then gently stretch it with your fingers till it looks about right.

Place the kippa on the widest part of a Styrofoam shaitel head, use pins to stretch it out as fas as possible.

let dry, and remove. Perfect every time

if I had only known this years ago! do you have any ideas of how many I had to retire due to me accidentaly shrinking?!

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 11:37 pm
wet & stretch ... on the person's head

buy extras ...

ruthla

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 5:15 pm
I crochet my son's kippas out of cotton yarn- thinner than "sweater yarn" but much thicker than the cotton thread typically used for crocheted kippot. They're 100% washable and dryable, although they don't always get fully dried by the time the clothes are done, so I hang them to dry the rest of the way.

If there's no way to fix the ones that ended up in the dryer already, maybe replace them with something sturdier?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry