Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Where can I get inexpensive fashion jewelry?
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Apr 02 2010, 4:16 pm
Nuts wrote:
Do you guys buy custom jewelry cuz you can't afford real ones or you like to be up-to-date?

I can't afford it, but I really like it too. Up to date? Moi?
And Target's a good idea. In the jewelry section there are some closed displays of jewelry that are a cut above what's on the wall (though sometimes those pieces can be perfect too).

leomom

Post Sat, Apr 03 2010, 10:06 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Nuts wrote:
Do you guys buy custom jewelry cuz you can't afford real ones or you like to be up-to-date?

I can't afford it, but I really like it too. Up to date? Moi?
And Target's a good idea. In the jewelry section there are some closed displays of jewelry that are a cut above what's on the wall (though sometimes those pieces can be perfect too).

Nuts, you meant costume (not custom) jewelry, right?

Nuts

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 1:10 am
What do you mean?

leomom

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 3:04 am
I was just clarifying that when you asked about why people buy "custom" jewelry, you had probably intended to type "costume" jewelry... because custom would be expensive (usually) and costume would be cheap (usually). Both types have been mentioned in this thread, so I thought your question might have been confusing if it had a typo. That's all. Smile

Nuts

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 10:48 am
yy wrote:
I was just clarifying that when you asked about why people buy "custom" jewelry, you had probably intended to type "costume" jewelry... because custom would be expensive (usually) and costume would be cheap (usually). Both types have been mentioned in this thread, so I thought your question might have been confusing if it had a typo. That's all. Smile

No I was refering to custom jewelry since it looks like the real thing and is still cheaper. I didn't realize people were discussing costume jewelry. What exactly is that?

leomom

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 12:43 pm
What exactly do you mean by custom jewelry, then? To me it means jewelry that is made to order, according to a person's specifications. Costume jewelry is "fake" (not real gold, silver, gems), but just pretty!

Marigold

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 1:09 pm
yy wrote:
What exactly do you mean by custom jewelry, then? To me it means jewelry that is made to order, according to a person's specifications. Costume jewelry is "fake" (not real gold, silver, gems), but just pretty!

yy is right.
Custom jewelry which is made to order is actually very expensive.
Custome jewelry.......
Originally, costume or fashion jewelry was made of inexpensive simulated gemstones, such as rhinestones or lucite, set in pewter, silver, nickel or brass. Modern costume jewelry incorporates a wide range of materials. High end crystals, cubic zirconia simulated diamonds, and some semi-precious stones are used in place of precious stones. Metals include gold- or silver-plated brass, and sometimes vermeil or sterling silver. Lower-priced jewelry may still use gold plating over pewter, nickel or other metals; items made in countries outside the United States may contain lead.
I think nuts was referring to the higher end version of custome (not custom) jewelry.

Last edited by Marigold on Sun, Apr 04 2010, 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nuts

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 2:20 pm
Paddington Bear wrote:
yy wrote:

yy is right.
Custome jewelry.......
Originally, costume or fashion jewelry was made of inexpensive simulated gemstones, such as rhinestones or lucite, set in pewter, silver, nickel or brass. Modern costume jewelry incorporates a wide range of materials. High end crystals, cubic zirconia simulated diamonds, and some semi-precious stones are used in place of precious stones. Metals include gold- or silver-plated brass, and sometimes vermeil or sterling silver. Lower-priced jewelry may still use gold plating over pewter, nickel or other metals; items made in countries outside the United States may contain lead.
I think nuts was refering to the higher end version of custome (not custom) jewelry.

I guess you're right. I was referring to that. I didn't know that people do their jewelry custom made to order.

songbird

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 6:44 pm
J.Crew has fabulous pieces! They are more expensive that your budget, but you can great prices when they go on sale!!!!!

new-here

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 7:48 pm
Charolotte Russe has a huge selection for dirt cheap (think $6.99)

leomom

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 9:34 pm
Nuts wrote:
Paddington Bear wrote:
yy wrote:

yy is right.
Custome jewelry.......
I think nuts was refering to the higher end version of custome (not custom) jewelry.

I guess you're right. I was referring to that. I didn't know that people do their jewelry custom made to order.

Since this thread was revived, I just can't help clarifying the spelling --

custom (made to order)
costume (fake) - as in dressing up in a costume

Thank you for indulging my bout of perfectionism. Very Happy
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics