Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Gevald! My Challas are not fluffy!

aonemom

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 9:18 pm
Gevald! My Challas are not fluffy. While they taste good, they are pretty dense. Any tips and ideas?

MrsMom

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 9:40 pm
How long are you letting them rise?

aonemom

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 9:42 pm
45 minutes before braiding and an hour after.

mommy7

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 9:43 pm
bad yeast, or maybe you're not letting the yeast ferment properly.

MrsMom

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 9:45 pm
I used to do that but I realized they only get fluffy after a good couple of hours (like half a day) and I use rapid rise. Try more rising time, sprinkle a little sugar on top to keep help it along..?

nylon

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 12:46 am
I'd say you're not letting them rise long enough. Put it in a plastic container, mark the level, and let it rise till fully doubled. I proof mine twice before shaping.

alpidarkomama

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 12:58 am
Here are some thoughts:

Make sure you have fresh yeast.
I would do a much longer first rising (2 hours or so).
Bread flour usually gives better results.
You might not be kneading it long enough.
Combining the yeast with a cup of the water + a little sugar ("proofing" it) can give it a bit of a boost. Then you can add the rest of the ingredients after the mixture starts to bubble.
Make sure the dough is not too dry; it should still be a bit sticky.

Hope something in there is helpful!

Plonis

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 1:01 am
My recipes usually say something like rising 2 hours before braiding, and up to an hour afterwards. And if my kitchen isn't warm enough, I need to let it rise longer...

momaleh

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 5:37 am
Also, make sure you are using enough yeast! I generally use more than they say and they fluff up nicely, first rising time 1.5 hours, second 45 minutes. If you are in Israel, I stay away from those fresh granules, they don't fluff enough for me. Only dry or fresh blocks.

mommy7

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 7:48 am
some of my friends put their dough in giant plastic garbage bags and let it rise overnight. their challahs turn out with a high fluffiness quotient.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 9:23 am
Are you using proper flour? Best flour for baking bread is strong flour, with higher protein content. I also found adding gluten flour makes the consistency fluffier.

I use instant/rapid yeast, where the bulk of raising process takes the place the first time. I shape the dough and let it raise anywhere from 2-3 hrs (in summer) to overnight (in winter).

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 10:34 pm
Use all purpose flour instead of high gluten.

nylon

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 1:17 pm
Yes. Mrs Bissli, in America, the all purpose (plain) flour is quite strong and is good for challah. I like King Arthur brand. Some people prefer bread flour; I guess it's a matter of taste. But all purpose works as long as you use unbleached. KA is also a bit stronger than some other brands.

Don't add more yeast than the recipe calls for. It will rise too fast and taste too yeasty. You can always let bread rise longer--I have low yeast, long rise recipes that work beautifully.

I prefer instant bulk yeast (I get SAF from the King Arthur catalogue). Much cheaper and no proofing required--you simply mix the flour with the yeast and salt, and it works perfectly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen