Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
My dd's school is insisting that she get an email account

ruth

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 4:37 am
My dd have only limited and supervised access to the internet. At present she is one of the ony girls in her school without a phone or internet. One girl in her class has already been caught texting, emailing with a boy(s). yet the school's G.O. advisor is asking my dd to get herself an email account.

Can I set one up that will send me her actvity to my account? What other options are there? We do not have the budget to pay for an AOL acct. (I have heard they have some kind of account parents can set up for their kids.)

What about parental control software?

The teacher has made this my dd's homework assignment for the Pesach vacation...

Tamiri

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 4:42 am
You didn't mention how old your daughter is.
In any event, you can set up any mail account you want with any password you want, and let your daughter see what you want her to see. I don't understand what the issue is here.
If she doesn't know how to open her own account nor how to control the computer, you can do the whole thing for her and that's the end.

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 4:43 am
AOL is free now, has been for a while. I don't know if they still offer parental controls, but it's something to check out.

yiddishe vayb

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 4:59 am
it's confusing...
some schools dont let them have internet accounts or phones..
your daughters school is insisting she have one?

ruth

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 6:04 am
my dd is in high school. I am additionally relunctant to get her the email account because there is a good chance she will be switching schools anyways because of bullying problems and the new school does not allow internet/texting phones, etc.

thanks for the aol tip, I will look into it.

bnm

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 8:08 am
I have a few email accounts but they all get collected in the same inbox. you can do that so she has her own address but it comes into your inbox.

ruth

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 5:02 am
bnm wrote:
I have a few email accounts but they all get collected in the same inbox. you can do that so she has her own address but it comes into your inbox.

which service? do the sent messages and incoming messages all go to your box?

Isramom8

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 7:25 am
Create a (free) gmail account and YOU set the password, whcih you can then tell her. You can also make the mail from the new gmail account appear in your old one. Why not set up one for her and one for you?

You can do the same with hotmail, and I'd assume also AOL.

If you want non-internet based email, just choose a password so that you can always see her mail. Tell her this is your condition.

For what does the school want her to have an email account, homework or for her personal development? Is she being advised to have a PRIVATE email address? Why does the school care? If she is under 18 then I don't think she has a legal right.

smilingmom

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 7:43 am
I use the free aol for my DD, I get an activity report for her, knowing all sites she visited and all sites that she attempts to visit but is blocked by my parental controls, also how long she was on for, and of course I can read all her e-mails.
I do the same for my DH.

fmt4

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 8:21 am
smilingmom wrote:
I use the free aol for my DD, I get an activity report for her, knowing all sites she visited and all sites that she attempts to visit but is blocked by my parental controls, also how long she was on for, and of course I can read all her e-mails.
I do the same for my DH.

Are you serious? shock You treat your husband as you would your teenage daughter?

bnm

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 10:07 am
ruth wrote:
bnm wrote:

which service? do the sent messages and incoming messages all go to your box?

gmail with POP3 (I think thats what its called) enabled.... its under settings

Plonis

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 11:49 am
It's done using Outlook (or Mail, or whatever). You can set up multiple accounts, all arrive in your mailbox on your computer.

smilingmom

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 6:27 pm
fmt4 wrote:
smilingmom wrote:
I do the same for my DH.

Are you serious? shock You treat your husband as you would your teenage daughter?

Yes, I am serious. I also tell my DD's and DIL to monitor their DH's computer activity.
It is not that I don't generally trust them, but the internet is insidious, and people can become entrapped.
By having someone oversee the computer activity record, it is an extra protection, which does not cause any harm. You should watch "Caught in the Web" or read up on the dangers of the internet if you think I am overly cautious.

yaeli83

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 6:37 am
You're right, people can become entrapped...who watches your activity then? Wink

smilingmom

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 7:38 am
yaeli83 wrote:
You're right, people can become entrapped...who watches your activity then? Wink

You are absolutely correct. I may be mistaken, but in general I think men are more susceptible to accidentally happen upon inappropriate sites, especially when following sports websites.
My method only can work if someone wants to be monitored. Obviously anyone that is bent on watching inappropriate stuff can do so, no matter what precautions you have in place.
Teenagers with their insatiable curiosity, may also easily fall into a poisonous web.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 10:25 am
My daughters high school notifies the students of all updates via facebook.
She does NOT have a facebook account.
I promised she could have one IF she proved herself academically.

Needless to say she received all A's and one B but I haven't followed through--she hasn't asked again either...

Last week a sports practice was canceled and we drove nearly 4o minutes to an empty field.

We had dinner at a ncie restaurant instead...
I can see the necessity of a facebook account but it still does NOT THRILL me.

Barbara

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 10:33 am
ValleyMom wrote:

Needless to say she received all A's and one B but I haven't followed through--she hasn't asked again either...

Last week a sports practice was canceled and we drove nearly 4o minutes to an empty field.

Set up an account and give it to them. Have the email sent to you. Voila. You get notifications.

They're just being lazy about creating an email list. They could do the same through google groups, which might be more palatable to you.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 10:37 am
ValleyMom wrote:

That's a bit ridiculous.

My DD2's high school sends out e-mails and/or SMS to me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics