Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Pesach magazines and supplements--tell us your thoughts
Previous  1  2

smilethere

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 8:24 am
Zman was nice - very in depth analysis' of current news issues. interesting read - no fluff hindarochel, but some of the articles just went on a tiny bit tooo long.

Bought Shaah tovah for the first time, because I was interested in seeing what they had to write on london. Sorry I was very very dissapointed at the writing quality, it sounded like the magazine was aimed for 7-12 year olds. Anybody else buy it?

LeahW

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 8:27 am
smilethere wrote:
Zman was nice - very in depth analysis' of current news issues. interesting read - no fluff hindarochel, but some of the articles just went on a tiny bit tooo long.

Bought Shaah tovah for the first time, because I was interested in seeing what they had to write on london. Sorry I was very very dissapointed at the writing quality, it sounded like the magazine was aimed for 7-12 year olds. Anybody else buy it?

My friend and I both tried Shaah tovah and both thought that the pages smelled bad. I wonder if that's just in Israel. I would buy it again if they change that.

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 8:31 am
I read Sha'ah tova as well just the other week. It really felt like Mischpacha, Binah, etc. I want something a bit different.
I'll try Zman if I can figure out where I can get it. Thank you!

I really wish there were a Jewish World & I, or a science magazine that comes from a frum, Jewish perspective.
Dh and I for the kids ordered Segula, the history magazine. Here's hoping. Mainly it is for my girls, but I'm hoping to enjoy it as well.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 1:07 pm
Hatemywig wrote:
BTW, re Rabbi Wachsman. I respect him tremendously. He did marry English so maybe he did it the European way. For the rest of the olam there may be a middle ground.

I will be careful the way I say this as I'm sure there are plenty of women here who follow Rabbi Wachsman's Derech and agree with his views. Personally, I found his article very negative. Instead of focusing on what one is[I][b] allowed to do, the main focus on how so many things are not allowed. A way that would many many youngsters feel like they're going to hell for wanting a couple more dates to decide if its for them.

I think that for those who don't, if they read something that's off-putting they should go to their local rebbetzin or good sounding board. Maybe it could be reframed in a way that resonates, or maybe not, in which case it may not be THEIR derech but it IS a legitimate derech.

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 1:09 pm
Sha'ah Tovah -I bought it twice, and I agree.
The language is very childish.
I would not buy it again.

Grandmama

Post Thu, Apr 29 2010, 8:40 am
Horizons, anyone?

kalsee

Post Thu, Apr 29 2010, 8:53 am
Cookies n Cream wrote:
Sha'ah Tovah -I bought it twice, and I agree.
The language is very childish.
I would not buy it again.

Problem is that it's very translated, by (probably) unprofessionals.

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Apr 29 2010, 2:38 pm
Grandmama wrote:
Horizons, anyone?

Shvach lately. The old ones (yrs ago) were way better.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 29 2010, 4:36 pm
Grandmama wrote:
Horizons, anyone?

They're smaller, as they're now monthly, and still adds up. I've treated myself before a yom tov but that's about it. I wonder if, like the JO, having to face the weeklies, it'll eventually become irrelevant. I hope not.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room