Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Gefilte Fish questions.. Please help!

Moriyi

Post Thu, Apr 29 2010, 7:45 pm
I have never made gefilte fish. I know what you're thinking - What kind of Jew are you!? Well, I'm working on myself, I'm making it this Shabbos!

I have a couple questions..

1. My friend gave me a recipe.. Slice gefilte fish, dip in mayo, dip in breadcrumbs and bake. Has anyone made this? How is it?

2. With a recipe like this, can I make it Thursday night for Shabbos lunch?

Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 29 2010, 7:47 pm
Your friend's recipe sounds good.

Do you want a classic boiled recipe?

6coop

Post Thu, Apr 29 2010, 7:53 pm
I never made a recipe like that but I can't think of a single reason why you can't make it Thursday for Shabbos lunch. No matter what you're going to have to store it in the fridge for at least a day anyway.

There are much simpler ways to cook a loaf of fish though. Are you interested in recipes?

NewYorkgal31

Post Thu, Apr 29 2010, 7:56 pm
can you post a classic boiled recipe for some reason my Gefilte Fish never comes out so good...I only use half a loaf at a time cuz its only me and DH Thanks

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 29 2010, 8:02 pm
NewYorkgal31 wrote:
can you post a classic boiled recipe for some reason my Gefilte Fish never comes out so good...I only use half a loaf at a time cuz its only me and DH Thanks

I like this recipe, especially since it doesn't call for added sugar, yet it gets sweet from the baby carrots. I also like the fact that it cooks in an uncovered pot, unlike a lot of recipes.
I use just 1 onion and slice it instead of chopping it, I add 3 cloves garlic cut in half, and I omit the black pepper.
http://books.google.com/books?.....false

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Apr 29 2010, 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

louche

Post Thu, Apr 29 2010, 8:03 pm
The #1 most important thing to do for boiled gefilte loaf is to remove the paper and drain it thoroughly in a colander as soon as the cooking time is up. Leave it in the water and it remains waterlogged and awful; leave the paper on while it drains and it will stick and tear the fish when you try to remove it.

Try different brands; they don't all taste the same and some are way better than others. It may not be your cooking but the brand you're using that makes it "not so good". I used to use Ungars, cooked it in plain water without adding anything and it was always good.

Moriyi

Post Thu, Apr 29 2010, 8:05 pm
Thanks so much!

I forgot to ask..

What sauce would you recommend for the recipe I posted? She told me something about mayo, mustard and seasoning but I don't remember it!

I also got a recipe for boiling it, but I'd love to hear what other people do.. I'm still experimenting Smile

6coop

Post Thu, Apr 29 2010, 8:12 pm
My favorite (and my easiest) method of making gefilte fish is:
let the loaf thaw just enough to remove the paper
spray a loaf pan with pam
put the fish in
sprinkle with paprika
cover the pan and bake @ 350 for about 1 1/2 hrs.
SO easy, looks pretty, tastes great!

ganizzy

Post Thu, Apr 29 2010, 8:48 pm
6coop wrote:
My favorite (and my easiest) method of making gefilte fish is:
let the loaf thaw just enough to remove the paper
spray a loaf pan with pam
put the fish in
sprinkle with paprika
cover the pan and bake @ 350 for about 1 1/2 hrs.
SO easy, looks pretty, tastes great!

I do pretty similiar
I cover the fish with tomato sauce and then sprinkle with spices (salt, onion powder, pepper, oregano)
bake covered for about 2 hours

I get alot of compliments (but mostly from people who dont regurlarly eat gefilta fish)
and its a great "cover up" for the cheaper or not so good brands

shanie5

Post Fri, Apr 30 2010, 10:00 am
Moriyi wrote:
Thanks so much!

I forgot to ask..

What sauce would you recommend for the recipe I posted? She told me something about mayo, mustard and seasoning but I don't remember it!

I also got a recipe for boiling it, but I'd love to hear what other people do.. I'm still experimenting Smile

salsa would go great with this. I would dip in egg rather than mayo. also good fried.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics