Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
What to teach preschoolers this week?

pobody's nerfect

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 1:05 pm
I'm substituting for the kindergarten (pre1A, for NYers) here while the teacher is on maternity leave. This is probably the last week I'll be teaching. I'm only doing Limudei Kodesh. I have no idea what to teach this week, as there are no Yomim Tovim and we already wrapped up our unit on Pirkei Avos. The teacher will work on the end of year graduation type things when she comes back. Any ideas on what I can teach this week? The Parsha isn't so conducive to arts and crafts....

yo'ma

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 1:17 pm
Any mitzvos she didn't do? Review aleph, bet? What would she be doing now if she was there?

Isramom8

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 1:19 pm
Explanations of the Shabbos davening, using lots of pictures and props and doing lots of singing? Vezakeini, Lecha Dodi, Shalom Aleichem, Eishes Chayil...

pobody's nerfect

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 1:24 pm
thanks for the ideas. I know they did a big unit on Shabbos earlier in the year. We'll definitely be doing a lot of Kriah, but I still have more time to fill than that. Any ideas about a specific mitzvah? If the teacher was here now, she would be preparing for the end of year play/graduation.

Isramom8

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 1:30 pm
Kibbud Av Va'eim, Brachos, Amen, The Three Weeks, Tznius (all aspects like not showing off, etc.), Tzedaka...

yo'ma

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 1:31 pm
honor your father and mother
love your neighbor like yourself
lashon hara

You could do something like a collage or booklet on their favorite things, like best y"t, mitzva, etc..

Raisin

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 1:37 pm
talk about beis hamikdash, in preparation for the 3 weeks.

opinionatedbubby

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 11:31 pm
Uh,isn't the teacher s'posed to at least help you with this?

I'm picking out parts of Pirchei Avos to do with my 3 yr. olds. Not necessarily corresponding to the one everyone is up to officially. I think we're going to do Aizeh hu ashir.... focusing on someach b'chelko, not being jealous, then on self control for aizeh hu gibor. They are both abstract concepts, but easy to understand. There are other parts of Pirkei Avos that you also may want to try. Al shlosha divarim... learning Torah, davening , and doing chesed. What could be nicer?

Once, I spent time on "Shalom", learning conflict resolution skills. The ones I taught were a.) talk about it (the problem) b.) be mvater "it's not SO important" and c.) say "that's not true!" or "you're hurting my feelings" and WALK AWAY from the fight. We formed the letters shin, lamed, vav, mem sofis with our bodies, giving each girl a part, took pictures of it to hang in the hall. Really cute!! And we made paper girls who held magnetic strip hands.

Even tho' kids love violence and learning about bad non jews, , I wouldn't put so much emphasis on the Three Weeks, certainly not so far in advance.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics