Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift ideas for commuter DH

amother

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 7:10 pm
I want to get dh a b-day present. he is turning the big 3-0. But I don't need to get him anything super special.
I've gotten him pretty much everything already.

He travels far to work (over 1 1/2 hours and then spends most of his day driving around in his car, and very little time at a desk) so I figured commuter presents would be good.

I've thought of:
a new cooler (his old one is falling apart)
a car hanger (for his blazer - he always keeps one on his seat because sometimes he has to make a court appearence)
(He already has a GPS, IPOD with daf yom [that no longer works], ear blue tooth, and car starter, and lots of music CDs)
I know he doesn't want anything that charges off his car so all of those are out.

Any other ideas?

Last year I got him a megilla but he doesn't have a case for it. I know he would love one. Anyone know of a neat type of case to get for a short megilla that is not too expensive (like no silver)?

Thanks.

amother

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 7:22 pm
DH also loves to BBQ. And he loves to BBQ in the park. Our portable grill is pretty much dead - but I think it is a purchase we should make together because I'm not sure how much to spend. But if you have any ideas for a BBQing Dad I'd love to hear those as well.

louche

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 7:23 pm
Google on leather megillah cases.

red sea

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 7:34 pm
Weber makes great portable grills, I think the Q 120, 200 or 220 each a bit different but around the 200$ area.

amother

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 7:45 pm
The portable grill has to be small. We have a Camry and travel with 3 babies (under 4). Normally its a weekend worth of packing when we take the grill with us. We want to try to go as small as possible.

amother

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 7:49 pm
louche wrote:
Google on leather megillah cases.

they really look nice. Problem is that I know dh will be embarrassed if the case looks too expensive (he is embarrassed enough about the fact that he has a megilla because it is expensive). They look really nice. I know he would be happy with a velvet one but the prices are close. Its a good idea, I'll think about it, thanks.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 8:01 pm
My dh also commutes and I have gotten him:

Ipod
New tash
umbrella for the journey
snacks for the commute - you can wrap them up special
commuter mug, fancy coffees/teas
earmuffs, scarf

mamaleh

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 8:59 pm
amother wrote:
I know he doesn't want anything that charges off his car so all of those are out.

Why is that?
My DH used to feel that way because he needed the outlet for his phone or GPS. We found outlet splitters for the car...they take the one car 'outlet' (or cig lighter) and mae it into 2-3 (some even have a USB port. They are available at walmart etc.
Also, if he's worried about draining the battery when the car is off, most things will not pull a charge when the car is off (some of the outlet splitters actually work like surge protectors so there is even one switch to turn everything off if he is still concerned.

If that solves his problem with things that plug in, I would recomend the coolers that plug into the outlet. They are great! We have a large one that we use when we travel, but there are def smaller ones that are perfect for lunch or drinks. They don't need ice and really keep stuff cold. Some of them can even be set to heat instead of cool, imagine keeping lunch warm, or warm drinks in the winter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics