Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Ora

frummy613

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 6:42 pm
I really like the name ora for a girl, but am interested in adding it as a second name. I am naming a daughter imy"h after female relative and was wondering if "orla" is a name. like "her light"
can u guys tell me other variations fo the name ora?

bookie

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 6:59 pm
Leora

amother

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 7:22 pm
Eliora ?

I would be careful with orla, isn't something similar a foreskin?

life'sgreat

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 7:34 pm
frummy613 wrote:
I really like the name ora for a girl, but am interested in adding it as a second name. I am naming a daughter imy"h after female relative and was wondering if "orla" is a name. like "her light"
can u guys tell me other variations fo the name ora?

The first thought was about shmitta/orla and to me it seems odd. The second is what amother said, though I'm not sure that's what it is.

chillax

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 8:55 pm
Orly?

amother

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 9:00 pm
orly sounds like orally - just think before choosing it (of course many people have the name and are happy with it)

ora also has a similar sound and spelling to oral - also maybe not so pleasant if you are in an english speaking country

but again, everyone has different reactions to names

life'sgreat

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 9:17 pm
amother wrote:
orly sounds like orally - just think before choosing it (of course many people have the name and are happy with it)

ora also has a similar sound and spelling to oral - also maybe not so pleasant if you are in an english speaking country

Not everyone has a dirty mind. Also, they are pronounced differently.

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 9:57 pm
amother wrote:

Orla, sounds like the piece of skin cut off for a brit. I would not ude it. Ora and Orlee are nice though.

Isramom8

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 12:20 am
Orla is what people are saying it is. Don't use it.

I never thought of the beautiful names Ora and Orlee as problematic, but now that people mention it, sadly it might be better to avoid these days. Who knows what kids will tease about in the decade this child will be a teenager.

I met an Ora Leah and love that name.

Tamiri

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 12:26 am
Ohr
Orah
Orlee
Oryah
Oryan (I think this is a constellation)
Orit
Leora
Ta'ir
Zohar (luminescence)

leomom

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 12:35 am
Meira

amother

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 12:37 am
life'sgreat wrote:
amother wrote:

Not everyone has a dirty mind. Also, they are pronounced differently.

well you must be the one with the dirty mind Smile because I just think the sound/meaning of the words oral, orally are not name-like or nice in english - oral medication, oral report - yes there is also another connotation but it is far from the only one

as someone just said, kids will certainly tease - but again depends on where, who, personal taste about names

c.c.cookie

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 1:38 am
Tamiri wrote:
Ohr
Orah
Orlee
Oryah
Orit
Leora
Ta'ir
Zohar (luminescence)

Isn't Zohar a boy's name? And I wouldn't name Orla, to me it means a fruit you're not allowed to eat (in E"Y)

Tamiri

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 6:02 am
c.c.cookie wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
Ohr
Orah
Orlee
Oryah
Orit
Leora
Ta'ir
Zohar (luminescence)

Isn't Zohar a boy's name? And I wouldn't name Orla, to me it means a fruit you're not allowed to eat (in E"Y)
I've heard Zohar go either way. There is also Zoharah, not common but it's out there.
Orla is an absolute no, for all the reasons listed. I've NEVER heard anyone in the U.S. (and I know American Orlis) EVER have a problem with their name.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names