Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Wedding gift

amother

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 4:36 pm
We have a neighbor's daughter's wedding, their first child. What is appropriate to give for a gift? Check, gift cert. or buy a gift? For the first two I have no idea how much to give. And for a gift I can't think of any good ideas and worry it will be something they don't need. If it helps answer the question, I'll add I'm in the US. Also, we don't have it that easy financially but am willing to spend on what is appropriate to do. I'm also nervous because they gave quite generously for our Bar Mitzva (almost 5 years ago.) Any advice is appreciated.

Grandmama

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 4:55 pm
amother wrote:
We have a neighbor's daughter's wedding, their first child. What is appropriate to give for a gift? Check, gift cert. or buy a gift? For the first two I have no idea how much to give. And for a gift I can't think of any good ideas and worry it will be something they don't need. If it helps answer the question, I'll add I'm in the US. Also, we don't have it that easy financially but am willing to spend on what is appropriate to do. I'm also nervous because they gave quite generously for our Bar Mitzva (almost 5 years ago.) Any advice is appreciated.

You need to give what you can afford to give.
As they were generous to you, it would make sense that you give back accordingly.
Just give the best that you can, and check/cash is still the best gift!
Gift certificates are limiting, and gifts are usually dumped, or given away, or kept in their mother's basement storage closet, or attic, for many years.... so cash is king.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 5:05 pm
Ask if they are registered anywhere. That way they get exactly what they want.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 5:16 pm
I agree that money is always appreciated, unless you really would like to know that they are using something you bought. If you don't feel that you can give that much, $50 is pretty safe. When I got married in NY less than 2 years ago, that was pretty much the standard for non-family and friends who weren't especially close to my family, or well-off.

amother

Post Sat, May 29 2010, 10:36 pm
Thanks for all your suggestions. I guess I'll go with check. And the specific amt. you said Mabelle is helpful in giving me an idea of how much.
CM - I didn't think of registry, I wonder how many people do it, but for future simchas, maybe I'll ask about it.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, May 29 2010, 10:46 pm
For the record, you don't have to ask - just check Macy's online or Bed Bath Beyond. Those are the most popular sites.

amother

Post Sat, May 29 2010, 10:47 pm
Great idea! I didn't know you can do that.

wifey

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 1:04 am
Also check out weddingchannel.com. You enter the couples name and they tell you where they are registered. That includes Bed Bath, Macys, Target, etc.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 1:08 am
What IS an appropriate amount for a couple to give as a gift these days? I have FIVE wedding during the next six weeks...

LiLIsraeli

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 1:15 am
Thanks wifey for that idea! Just found the registry of someone I was looking to buy a gift for.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 12:13 pm
ValleyMom wrote:
What IS an appropriate amount for a couple to give as a gift these days? I have FIVE wedding during the next six weeks...

Me too, and years ago, I overcharged my charge card with such charges. If the couple isn't needy, it's really difficult to go into debt for them.

And if you give a terrible gift, it's worse than no gift at all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics