Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
American candy store in Jerusalem? - and pekelach stuff, too

sarahd

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 5:37 am
I seem to remember having seen an ad for an American candy store in Geula. Does it (still) exist, or was it a figment of my wishful thinking?

I need a jelly ring fix very badly...

On another note, what do health conscious mothers in Israel put in their sons' chalakeh peckelach? I want to buy the stuff for my son's pekelach when I'm in Israel next week and all I can think of that's not pure sugar or chemicals (or maybe it is too) is chocolate covered wafers.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 5:53 am
Shalva, bamba, pretzels, dag-dag (little crackers in fish shapes), halva - none of these are wildly healthy, but at least they don't have much sugar/ aren't fried (except bamba)/ have some nutritional content.

Pineapple

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 6:01 am
sarahd wrote:
I seem to remember having seen an ad for an American candy store in Geula. Does it (still) exist, or was it a figment of my wishful thinking?

Shokoland

or in meah shearim mamtakaloda (sp)

sarahd

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 9:53 am
What's shalva?

Bamba is coming out of my kids' nose already. That and popsims are what everyone gives to fill up the bag.

Pretzels and halva sounds good. Is halva not a choking hazard? It's so dry, I wonder if it's not the same hazard as peanut butter (getting stuck to the back of the throat.)

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 9:59 am
sarahd wrote:
What's shalva?

Bamba is coming out of my kids' nose already. That and popsims are what everyone gives to fill up the bag.

Pretzels and halva sounds good. Is halva not a choking hazard? It's so dry, I wonder if it's not the same hazard as peanut butter (getting stuck to the back of the throat.)
Shalva is sweetened puffed wheat and you can get it without food coloring. I don't know about halva for 3 yo. I know I absolutely hated it as a kid. It's nice that you want to be health conscious with the pekalach. That's very difficult. I bought a bag of organic/no food coloring lollipops for my 5 yo as a daily reward for getting dressed himself including tzitzit, from the US, with a Kof-k on them. The bag of 15 lollies was 16 shekels shock . I got it at a health food store. You could get carob covered raisins that are yummy (not sure of the hashgacha). Or anything carob. They sell that stuff in the health food stores, of which there are plenty (very religious) ones in Jlm.

sarahd

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 10:07 am
Interesting tidbit: I read recently, don't remember where but somewhere fairly respectable, that carob is no more healthful than chocolate...Smile

Hard candies are out, even if organic. I'm afraid of the choking hazard.

That sweetened puffed wheat - my kids have gotten that too, but in these sickening pink and blue shades. If there's natural brown, that might be interesting.

sarahd

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 10:08 am
Pineapple wrote:
sarahd wrote:

Shokoland

Yes! that was it! Thanks.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 10:53 am
sarahd wrote:

That sweetened puffed wheat - my kids have gotten that too, but in these sickening pink and blue shades. If there's natural brown, that might be interesting.

You can buy it in a regular supermarket/ grocery store. They have big bags. The little bags usually have 95% brown with a few coloured ones dotted in. There is also puffed corn which my kids really like, but perhaps only in large bags - I think the company is Eshbol for both.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 10:54 am
I know someone who is obsessive about healthy food for her kids, but she lets her kids have ice cream and chocolate (in moderation).

how about juice cartons, plain chocolate and pretzels and other non sugary stuff to fill up the bag.

sarahd

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 12:37 pm
Maybe I'll go with chocolate, if I can find something cheap in Israel, pretzels and this Shalva stuff. Plus a non-chocolate wafer for variety.

Oh, and I have to get some little doodad to put in there to for the kids to play with. Rolling Eyes

chaylizi

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 12:40 pm
Pineapple wrote:
sarahd wrote:

Shokoland

Unless they moved, mamtakolada was definitely in geulah.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 12:41 pm
shalhevet wrote:
sarahd wrote:

You can buy it in a regular supermarket/ grocery store. They have big bags. The little bags usually have 95% brown with a few coloured ones dotted in. There is also puffed corn which my kids really like, but perhaps only in large bags - I think the company is Eshbol for both.
Now you reminded me: there are puffy snacks made out of potatos with mehadrin hechshers. They taste something like pringles. No coloring and no sugar.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 12:47 pm
what's wrong with mini boxes of raisins? These, pretzels and rice cakes seem to be preferred choice of health conscious parents around here. There's also fruit nuggets/ropes that have mostly fruit purees with vitamin fortified imported from US. (Florida Natural, O-K if I recall). Halves are out here because of nut (incl sesame) allergy concerns.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 1:10 pm
can you get kellogs winders in your neck of the woods? Apparantly they are healthy ie in the supermarket they are not kept with the sweets and chocolates but in the healthy snacks section. they are made partly of fruit juice.

kind of like fruit by the foot but a slightly different taste and texture.

Tova

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 1:39 pm
chaylizi wrote:

That's what I remember too - on Malchei Yisrael on the Geula side of Kikar Shabbos.

One of my nephews in Israel apparently strongly dislikes the Shalva cereal...when he heard that that was his new cousin's name he apparently screamed "Yuch."

Mazal tov on the upsherin, sarahd.

We just made our upsherin last week and I was also into more healthy options (relatively speaking). I live in the US - filled the bags with air popped popcorn, a homemade chocolate cupcake, a homemade black-and-white cookie decorated as a smiley face with kippah, sheet of alef bais stickers, a plastic scissors I got 3/99 cents, and a Dixie animal spoon and fork. They were very cute, if I do say so myself Smile

[OK - I know there are healthier options but no processed junk or food coloring ASIDE from 2 button candy eyes and a licorice mouth.]

sarahd

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 2:29 pm
Tova wrote:
chaylizi wrote:

That's what I remember too - on Malchei Yisrael on the Geula side of Kikar Shabbos.

One of my nephews in Israel apparently strongly dislikes the Shalva cereal...when he heard that that was his new cousin's name he apparently screamed "Yuch."

Mazal tov on the upsherin, sarahd.

Thanks, the upsherin is not till the end of Elul, but since I'll be in Israel, I figured I'd try to save a lot of money by buying things there instead of paying highly inflated prices here for stale stuff.

dilego

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 11:55 pm
would love to c u when u r around here,paskez stuff they also have in big deal on malchei yisroel and then u have shufra's on amos if I'm niƓt mistaken.but its still not cheap.

joy613

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 2:04 am
shokoland is in geulah. mamtakoladah is in meah shearim. Not that it really matters much.

kalsee

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 2:06 am
chaylizi wrote:
Pineapple wrote:
sarahd wrote:

Shokoland

They did move, about 5-6 years ago
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions