Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Boy Name Help
Previous  1  2

Atali

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 10:43 am
I also really like the Moshe David idea, or perhaps Tuvia David since IIRC Tuvia is the name that Moshe's parents gave him.

Atali

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 10:45 am
Oh, and one of my sons is named Moshe and non-Jews generally have no issues with pronouncing it. One non-Jew asked me if I named him after Moshe Dayan (umm... not quite).

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 10:55 am
Yes, Moshe isn't an issue. That's my son's legal name as well and I never have an issue.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 12:10 pm
Actually I keep hearing Eli(e) butchered as iligh (like "he lies" without a s) in English.

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 12:20 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Actually I keep hearing Eli(e) butchered as iligh (like "he lies" without a s) in English.

Yes, that's what my brother was called all the time at doctor's offices etc...

Isramom8

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 1:48 pm
I stand corrected that Moshe was not named that by his birth parents. But still, it was the name he is most known by, and the story happened to him!

penina

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 2:11 pm
I'm really liking the name David Eliezer, as well as David Emmanual. Both names sound very good with our last name and fit our needs.

Actually, we really liked the name David Moshe as those are the names of both of my deceased grandfathers. Unfortunately, Moshe is my father-in-law's name, and while halachically he isn't my husband's "real" father anymore (after you convert you're like an orphan) we're just not comfortable using the name. Also, he's had some severe health problems this year and I think it would be an ayin hara.

I also really like the nickname Gavi, so Gavriel David sounds like a good name also. You guys are really good at this!

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 2:45 pm
penina wrote:
I'm really liking the name David Eliezer, as well as David Emmanual. Both names sound very good with our last name and fit our needs.

Actually, we really liked the name David Moshe as those are the names of both of my deceased grandfathers. Unfortunately, Moshe is my father-in-law's name, and while halachically he isn't my husband's "real" father anymore (after you convert you're like an orphan) we're just not comfortable using the name. Also, he's had some severe health problems this year and I think it would be an ayin hara.

I also really like the nickname Gavi, so Gavriel David sounds like a good name also. You guys are really good at this!

I like the Gavriel (Gabriel) David.

MommyZ

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 2:57 pm
penina wrote:

My baby's name is David Moshe.

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 3:11 pm
I love the nickname Gabi.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 4:29 pm
Ruchel wrote:
EE-lie has been around in the U.S. for hundreds of years. Not Jewish. I think it's, among others, Amish. It's a name, not butchered.
In the Jewish community, for example, the name Eliyahu can be pronounced eeLIEhoo.
There is now a modern Hebrew name EE-lie עילאי and it's very much in use.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 5:00 pm
Tamiri wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
EE-lie has been around in the U.S. for hundreds of years. Not Jewish. I think it's, among others, Amish. It's a name, not butchered.
In the Jewish community, for example, the name Eliyahu can be pronounced eeLIEhoo.
There is now a modern Hebrew name EE-lie עילאי and it's very much in use.

That's eeLIE, and has a different meaning (which I don't know).

Rodent

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 5:37 pm
The English name Eli pronounced as EEE-ly is totally not butchered. It is the correct English pronunciation and no different from say Rebecca, Moses or Isaac etc.

And it IS Hebrew, where are people getting that it is a non-related name?
It is Eli, spelt ayin, lamed, yud. Eli as in the kohen gadol in the time of Elkana, the kohen who thought Hanna was drunk, teacher of Shmuel...
It means up/above/upwards/ascend and is in NO way related to the other Eli names that are spelt with an aleph and mean either G-d or strength.

I'm not Israeli to know how this name is being used, it could just be people trying to spell out the English pronunciation. But עילאי if it's the name I'm thinking should actually be spelt עלאי . It is the Aramaic form of Eli used in the talmud and should be correctly pronounced with 3 syllables (but 'correct' pronunciation isn't all that common in the Jewish world in general so I'm not ruling it out on that alone!) I know that yuds etc can be added in Israel to aid people to pronounce things a certain way so still within realms of possibility. Regardless, it's a form of the same name anyway (like Akiva is to Yaakov) with the same general meaning.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names