Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Cutting out white sugar really makes a difference?

ABC

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 12:48 pm
Does it really make a difference to how much weight you gain if you avoid all white sugar?

Last edited by ABC on Wed, Jul 28 2010, 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 12:56 pm
If you eat only no sugar no carb food, you can eat a LOT more for the same calories, so you're less/not hungry.
Now, what matters is the calories, not how you get them (about weight loss, not health).

Everything in moderation is a good motto unless you plan for a very strict diet (stricly low carb/sugar/both). I've lost almost 15 kg in a few months on such a diet, and I was NOT hungry. For breakfast I would have low sugar chocolate powder in 0% milk and a low carb low sugar cake, For lunch I would have low carb pasta, sometimes with meat, for snack a low carb low sugar chocolate bar, for dinner low carb pancakes with tomato sauce or again pasta. With that I would have a full stomach and under 800 calories.
I'm told it's not so common in America but maybe it's like this: http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.co......html

sarachana

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 1:14 pm
yes it makes a huge difference! when you eat whites they turn to sugar very fast since they are missing the fiber and good nutrients to slow down their digestion there-by making you have more dips in your blood sugar (aka lows and highs) which makes you have more cravings, a bigger appetite, etc etc. But in general I have found that eating carbs (all bad carbs...even too much whole wheat bread) make me hold onto fat longer then if I eat more fats, proteins and veggies, and almost eliminate carbs completely from my diet. That is not the best way to eat, but for losing weight it works! I would say eat carbs like sweet potatoes, ezekial bread and agave for sweeteners in moderation, as well as stevia for drinks, and a significant amount of weight loss will accure.

Merrymom

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 1:23 pm
It hasn't made a difference for me at all except that sugary foods also tend to be unhealthy or fattening foods so I try to stay away from that. I don't have a problem with putting some sugar in my coffee or in a salad dressing. The main thing is to eat whole grains (not wheat but whole wheat for example) some protein and lots of vegetables. Above all don't eat after supper at night except for some unsweetened herbal tea (yes at night it probably matters), or an apple. I don't think this is fun in the long term though so make sure you exercise at least 5 days a week to keep your metabolism up.

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 2:37 pm
Eating white sugar tends to make one crave and then you NEED it. Cutting it out entirely will, after a while, make it way easier to keep off sugar. For the tiny bit of sugar that I do need, I try to use sweeteners, or agave, but I try to keep off sweet stuff in general. It definitely should make a difference.

baba

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 4:01 pm
I'm so upset you didnt post this in my thread, that's what it's for!
Like life's great said, cutting out sugar, is definately going to make you crave it less and less.
I have pcos and for me it really makes a difference.
I'm still figuring out how strict I have to be.
I think most people end up using some kind of artificial sweetener, but I really dont like that idea.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 4:14 pm
baba what does pcos have to do with cutting out sugar? how does one affect the other?

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 4:21 pm
amother wrote:
baba what does pcos have to do with cutting out sugar? how does one affect the other?

PCOS is a pre diabetic condition. Many PCOS patients are insulin resistant to some degree. Eating sugar will make the PCOS much worse, sometimes resulting in diabetes a few years down the line.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 5:04 pm
It totally makes a difference! When I couldn't have any white sugar because I was nursing a baby who was allergic to it, I lost a ton of weight. Long term, forget it. I gained it all back, plus. But bear in mind that this was 13 years ago.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 2:12 am
life'sgreat wrote:
amother wrote:

PCOS is a pre diabetic condition. Many PCOS patients are insulin resistant to some degree. Eating sugar will make the PCOS much worse, sometimes resulting in diabetes a few years down the line.

thanks for the explanation, I never knew that 8)

life'sgreat

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 7:32 pm
amother wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
amother wrote:

thanks for the explanation, I never knew that 8)

Sadly, people think I don't need to take care of my PCOS because I get pregnant without any issues. But that's a mistake, because PCOS isn't even about fertility. Fertility is just one side effect of PCOS.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 8:12 pm
Quote:
Sadly, people think I don't need to take care of my PCOS because I get pregnant without any issues. But that's a mistake, because PCOS isn't even about fertility. Fertility is just one side effect of PCOS.

You are so right LG, talking from personal experience. I was on a very strict diet and really need to get back onto it. Reading the recent threads have pushed me to really try and stick to it. Thanks for the reminder!

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 9:44 pm
When I am off all that **** I feel a huge difference. I feel lighter and more energetic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise