Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Can I train a non-talking child?

windowsill

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 7:07 am
My boy is 2 and not talking yet. Do you think I can train him or wait until he talks (whenever that will be Rolling Eyes ?) Anyone have experience in training a non-talking child? Thx

Liba

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 7:22 am
It is certainly possible.

I had a daughter who trained herself before she was talking. She used to go to the bathroom and knock on the door to get our attention so we could put her on the toilet.

There are kids in my son's school who never will talk or walk who are toilet trained as well.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 7:24 am
What do you mean by not talking? My 5 yr old was a late talker or couldn't talk well and he was toilet trained, but he wasn't 2. I waited until he was 3 because that's when he was ready.

windowsill

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 7:41 am
I meant to ask - do you need verbal communication between child and parent to be trained? Like he'll have to talk to say - I need to go etc.. He understands everything we say to him and he gets on with life through pointing to what he wants. Can I train with him only pointing? he is 2 and 3mths - maybe I should wait a few more months until he starts to talk??.. Its just my mum keeps on saying that the summer is easier to train WWYD?

Liba

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 7:55 am
You can either train him with just pointing or make a picture card for him to give you when he needs to go.

http://trainland.tripod.com/pecs8.htm Has a toilet picture card on it, though you can probably find a better one or one of a potty if you aren't using a regular toilet or just take a picture of your bathroom, print it and cover it with clear contact paper.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training