Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What should I send?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 2:40 pm
Someone who(m) I haven't met, but spoke to on the phone is moving here. She's moving into a furnished apt and has 3 little girls. I wanted to bring some things over until she's able to get things on her own. I want to spend very little money. I was thinking of bringing over disposable plates, cups, etc.., and some of my towels. I don't want to buy any pots and pans and not only can I not afford to lend her mine because I need them, but she doesn't know me and you know the kosher thing. Any other ideas I can bring over? Now let's see if I'll even make it. She was supposed to come in Friday, but one of her children got the chicken pox, so she's coming in after her dh. I don't know when yet, but I'm due any day, so I would have to do it right away, like tomorrow LOL . Thanks for any input!!

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 2:45 pm
That's sooo thoughtful of you, yo'ma.
I think the disposable things and towels are a great idea. I thought of maybe bringing her dinner but you did say about not knowing each other's kashrut things so maybe that's difficult. Failing that a package of pita and a tub of hummous or fruit salad in a bowl? If I were on a recipient side, it's thought that counts more than anything. Just your phone number and an offer to be available (if that's feasible), and a list of basic amenities (kosher stores, schools, hospitals, banks, etc)?

Barbara

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 2:49 pm
B'shaa tova.

A coffee maker or instant coffee and a couple of cheap mugs or disposables.

Some cold drinks and snacks for the girls.

A meal for the night they move in (something they can eat cold if the oven isn't kashered yet).

A list of local places, with directions -- supermarket, fruit vendor, butcher, dry cleaner, take out place, mikvah, etc.

BestMomBrooklyn

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 2:51 pm
I have three girls, they would love PINK cupcakes. How about a pink decorative pillow... or another great deal: toys are us has these Barbie high heeled slippers for about $3. They started making them now with rubber gripping soles for safety. It was the best gift my girls ever got.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 2:54 pm
I'm writing it here, so when I do end up doing it, I'll remember. I just thought of soap and shampoo. Keep 'em coming, please. The coffee things sound good because she said that she drinks coffee, but I don't really want to spend money, so the maker is completely out of the question, but the mugs sound good. I'm not going to bother with food because like I said in the end her dh is coming in before her because one of her dd's got sick, so he can take care of when she comes in for nourishment like that. For shabbos, he has a place to stay already anyway.

jewels

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 5:21 pm
Paper goods are always appreciated, and besides the soap and shampoo what about other household necessities like a bucket filled with dishsoap, sponges, windex etc? I know that's what I really needed when I moved in and I'm forever grateful to my mother for preparing all of that kind of stuff for me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating