Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Living Far OOT

Petra

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 8:20 am
There was a thread on here a while ago (year or more) about the challenges of living way OOT. I enjoyed reading the threads but curious to hear more.

What is the purpose for shlichim to be sent to such far off places? I would think it a hardship but what do I know. I'm drawn to OOT only because I'm sort of anti-establishment, anti-shul politics, anti-clique. Plus, I have a dream to live in the country on a farm and raise dairy cows (sort of). I'm being only a little kidding about that... I woudn't really do it. My DH doesn't share my craziness.

I already live OOT (one mikvah, no restaurant, no butcher) but I know we are going to be moving soon. I'm just curious to hear more.

There is probably a better thread to put this under but I couldn't really find it.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 8:50 am
As much as it may be hardship on shulchim's side, I wanted to thank them for often being the only beacon of light in terms of jewish life. DH and I have been to too many places (mostly work related, aside from a few diverted flights) where things would have been so much more difficult if it were not for local shulchim.

Leahsema, living OOT doesn't mean you won't have shul politics. Speaking from my own experience, unfortunately. We used to live in a very small community, one shul to serve all spectrum from orthodox to reform, with two mechitzot so we can have men's/women's/mixed seating sections. As much as I wanted to draw a rosy picture of peaceful coexistance, it's not the case and now the place has pretty much imploded into 4 different congregation, each struggling to get a miniyan.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 12:40 pm
The people I know who live OOT:
were born there/there spouse was born there
found a job there
want a bigger apartment/a house/a garden
want only one shul so there's no "oh, you attend xyz"
want an Orthodox but "everyone does their own stuff" shul (unfortunately if you're a bit shtark you feel like the frummie very quickly, especially if most/all people aren't shomer mitsvos)

I'm not aware of people far out enough to have a farm AND a shul in walking distance nowadays in modern countries. Those who kinda do have NOTHING 100+ kms around, no mikve no butcher not even thinking restaurant. Some still are vegetarians and toivel in the lake, some drive/take the train.

Be aware that an OOT community may well not have a school, or a very bad one, or one with not the type of atmosphere you are looking for.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 1:43 pm
the politics can be much worse oot becasue all you need is one strong minded individual to ruin things for everyone else.

I live OOT and that is definately the case. I would not recommend to anyone with kids to move oot. we are shluchim who live oot, here to serve the community here. But it is a very difficult place to live. Kids chinuch/friends and lack of kosher resturants (superficial I know) are probably the 2 biggest issues for me.

If you have no kids or your kids are grown up, then maybe it's something to try.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 10:08 am
You can have just as much clique-iness out of town, if not more, because then you're severely limited with who you can be friends with, and if you don't fit in with those few people, there aren't many more choices.

Politics can be just as bad as well.

You already live OOT, so you probably understand all the drawbacks.

Petra

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 10:54 pm
I suppose everyone brings up very good, legit points. Still, I'd like to hear about other's remote OOT experiences. For example, I don't know that I could get on a plane every time I needed to visit the mikvah. But the fact that someone has that internal strength to do that--that's really amazing to me.

I suppose in such a situation like that there are no cliques with a N=1 (for married frum female)!

Let me visit a really good kosher restaurant every once in a while and my zeal for remoteness is temporarily squashed by my gluttoness taste buds and freedom to not have to cook a meal...

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 11:00 pm
if you want to try living on a dairy farm you should come visit me sometime

Petra

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 11:21 pm
Really??? Very Happy With my kids in tow?

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 8:56 pm
sure, y not? theres plenty of room for them to run around. and the huge attraction of plenty of calves.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating