Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do you eat fungicide?

red sea

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 10:10 pm
Just a PSA, lemon & generally all citrus fruit peels are sprayed heavily with fungicide (you know that really strong otc stuff people spray on their feet for athlets foot & stuff) at least in the US. They are also coated with an assortment of other stuff illegal to use on thin skinned fruits & veg because they are too harmful and the fda doesnt think they should be ingested. So if you use recipes that call for peels you might want to consider organic just that once.

<SteppingOffSoapBoxSmilieEmoticon>

BennysMommy

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 10:19 pm
I always wonder how these things are in Argentina when I read info like this. I rarely see organic produce here. The regular produce is so much dirtier and full of bugs than in the US. Nothing here looks perfect like the fruits and veggies you guys have. (they do taste much better though!) Does that mean they use less sprays and chemicals or not necessarily? Would be nice if that's what it meant...

mamaleh

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 10:20 pm
It's also quite common to find scale insects on citrus fruit peels, so sometimes organic is no better.
I've found that in most baking/ cooking recipes that call for zest, a small amount of juice does just as well for flavor. The only problem is when you actually want to see the pieces of zest...

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 11:42 am
Oh, well. Whatever doesnt kill ya, makes ya stronger.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen