Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Please help! What should I do?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 9:09 am
My son was a little bit trained a year ago - he could ask when he wanted to defecate and could hold it for several minutes till we put him on the potty. Then we somehow let it slip and he went back to not being on the potty at all. NOw we are starting anew, and he totally does not get it!!! HE does not notice when he pees or poops or whatever does not say that he wants on the potty, totally not noticing it!!! I can't believe it - he used to be able to say and hold at least for pooping!!
What should I do? He is now 2y3m old. Not really THAT old, but we already started and I don't think we should drop it now!

fiddle

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 9:12 am
honestly, if hes back at square one, you should wait. and dont push anything. he will ask when hes ready. obviously hes not. maybe you are. but hes not.

DovDov

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 9:56 am
amother wrote:
My son was a little bit trained a year ago - he could ask when he wanted to defecate and could hold it for several minutes till we put him on the potty. Then we somehow let it slip and he went back to not being on the potty at all. NOw we are starting anew, and he totally does not get it!!! HE does not notice when he pees or poops or whatever does not say that he wants on the potty, totally not noticing it!!! I can't believe it - he used to be able to say and hold at least for pooping!!
What should I do? He is now 2y3m old. Not really THAT old, but we already started and I don't think we should drop it now!

It's completel normal for a child to have some control early on and to lose that entirely if he gets used to ignoring it -- I.e., by using diapers.

My oldest was also showing some control at a little over a year -- maybe 14 months? We weren't on the ball and he wasn't ready again until almost 2.5 -- but when he was ready again, he did it himself with no struggle and virtually no mess. It was TOTALLY worth waiting until he was ready.

By the way, "ready" isn't as simple as "has some control." My second started to show control at around ht eage of your son -- a month or two past 2. I made some effort to "train" him and got nowhere. A few months later, he decided he wanted to wear underwear, and that was that -- no power struggle, no fight -- he just did it. Sooo much easier.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 11:55 am
Thanks a lot!!

Anyone else?

zigi

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 12:15 pm
if you put him on the potty does he make? you can train yourself to tune into his needs. that he makes #2 after lunch etc and then put him on,- I would have to take dd she wouldn't tell me if she needed to go. I did this for a month and also her going to school she learned how to go on her own,
if he doesn't make when sitting on the potty, good luck! that is ds's problem he doesn't go when I put him on I really have to let him run around with out diapers so he can get to know his functions and try putting him on the potty.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training