Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
We're moving!!!

amother

Post Sun, Jul 18 2010, 2:36 pm
Please G-d and thank G-d, we're moving!

We live in a place with a decent size Jewish community, lots and lots of shuls, schools, restaurants, everything to a place with nothing! Only thing is, I really didn't like where we've been living at all, and I am so excited to move. Sure, the mikveh is an hour drive and there are no restaurants, but it seems like such a great place with better quality of life, and more job opportunities for us...

Just had do share my excitement.

ClaRivka

Post Sun, Jul 18 2010, 2:41 pm
where r you moving to?

amother

Post Sun, Jul 18 2010, 3:13 pm
We're basically going to be the only normal orthodox people there, and I'm counting almost everything as normal, so I don't really want to say. The only frum people around are very transient, very old, or not quite frum, though I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

I can pm you and let you know, but it's way off radar.

ClaRivka

Post Sun, Jul 18 2010, 3:18 pm
pls pm me

Petra

Post Sun, Jul 18 2010, 4:05 pm
Are you shlichim? It will make going to the next town with a mikvah and kosher food a real treat!

amother

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 8:02 am
We're not any sort of shlichim. We're moving for ourselves.
The other town with the mikveh doesn't have a proper frum community either. There are lots of non-frum Jews all around, though. We'll have to be on our best behavior!

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 8:24 am
I've lived in some real super OOT places...I wonder where you are moving. For sure it has some positives and negatives. The hardest thing for me was the one hour mikvah drive and not having any kosher takeout available when I was post-partum. Where will you be sending kids to school?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 6:23 pm
Mirabelle, where did you live? I'll pm you if you write back...

There are some non-Orthodox Jewish options in the area, and excellent non-Jewish options as well (including great public schools.) We're a fairly young couple so this isn't as much of an issue, and if more observant people move to the area maybe we could even stay long term...

The big issues I'm foreseeing are shabbat related. Most people drive to shul so there is no concentration of people near shul, there are two Orthodox shuls that are very far apart from each other (not walkable), and of course no eruv Sad

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 6:31 pm
Hmmm, not sure if I want to write the places that we lived on a thread, only over PM, trust me they are waaay OOT. Actually, sounds like more OOT than where you are going!

I hear you about the schools not affecting you at the moment, but it does sort of sneak up on you. We moved right before we would have had to send our big girl to a non-Jewish preschool and I am very happy that so far we haven't had to.

It can be VERY lonely on Shabbat to be the only "walking" family. Often times that means that you are the only ones who actually observe all the holidays, second day yomim tovim, etc. So let's say its Shmini Atzeres and its on a Tuesday and you can't have anyone over because people are going to work.....just something to think about.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating