Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Aggressive toddler

boymom

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 12:25 pm
my adorable 2.9 son is getting out of hand. he is constantly hitting my husband and me. he's always looking to hurt my baby. he knows its wrong as he quickly says im sorry I wont do it again. we tried hitting him, talking to him, putting him in time out with a timer but he keeps on doing it. any ideas? im so worried he'll be the aggressive boy in nursery this coming school year.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 3:15 pm
Give him a lot of attention. Stories, etc.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 11:45 am
boymom wrote:
my adorable 2.9 son is getting out of hand. he is constantly hitting my husband and me. he's always looking to hurt my baby. he knows its wrong as he quickly says im sorry I wont do it again. we tried hitting him, talking to him, putting him in time out with a timer but he keeps on doing it. any ideas? im so worried he'll be the aggressive boy in nursery this coming school year.

You tried hitting him to stop him from hitting? shock

Nomad

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 1:29 pm
when my son did this. we would pick him up and put him in his room immediately. no hullabulloo. we just took him, said "no hitting" or "we do not hit" and put him in his room while we stood outside for a couple of minutes. we had to do this a few times but then eventually hed stop.

also, sometimes when he did this - it was because he was really overtired or hungry so on those occassions, we didnt really pay attention to that hitting because we knew he was just out of his mind.

why use a timer for time out? does he even mind if hes in time out?

also, the book: "Hands Are Not for Hitting" may be good or any other book that teaches ds how to express himself with words and not with hitting.

good luck!

Aribenj

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 4:59 pm
My 3 year old is the same.

We had to do time outs consistently and religiously, no matter what.
And not just tell him he was in time out and confine him to a spot for 3 minutes. This was SIT-IN-THAT-SPOT-NO-MOVING-NO-TALKING-NO-STANDING for 3 whole minutes. (well at the time he was 2, so 2 minutes) If he got up, the coundown would stop (making his time-out longer) until he sat down.

It's still not perfect, and he tests us once in a while to see if the rules still apply, but he no longer flings toys at me or the baby and is pretty much back to his sweet self...

But we had to be consistent, no matter what. If I had food on the stove, I'd have to let it burn. If the baby was crying because DS hit him, the baby would have to cry until DS was in time out. It was hard. But very worth it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics