Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
When do you transition out of a crib?

Capitalchick

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 1:32 pm
I was wondering around what age most people transition their babies/toddlers out of a crib and into a toddler bed or real bed.
I never gave it much thought, but I recently saw an online forum where a bunch of people said that they transitioned between 13 - 18 months….18 months was the oldest!!
I was pretty shocked.
My daughter is 16 months old. She 'travels' around her crib throughout the night. She clearly has no sense of where she is, because one minute she'll be sleeping curled up at the head of the bed, and the next minute she'll be on her back at the foot of the bed.

What has your experience been?

mominlkwd

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 1:39 pm
depends on the kid. My last few all went into a toddler bed by the time they were 1. They just wouldn't sleep in the crib - still don't know why. My latest who is just about 1 loves her crib and goes to bed great in it so we are gonna keep her in it for a while.

FWIW, I have friends who have kept their kids in a crib until the next one needed it - up to 2 1/2 at least.

EvenI

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 1:42 pm
Maybe they only do it at 18 months because a new sibling comes along and they think its a waste of money to buy a second crib? Anyway, the basic answer is that if your child is sleeping well in a crib and not climbing out, then there's no reason to move them out unless you need the crib for another child. If they start climbing out, it could be dangerous for them to remain in a crib. If and when you move a toddler into a bed, then you'd be surprised how well kids can learn to sleep in a bed. You can start with a mattress on the floor, or the top bed of a high riser with the lower bed pulled out for soft landings. My almost three year old sleeps in a bed, and moves around on the bed all night to all sorts of positions but doesn't actually fall out. Or you can get guard rail.

overthehill

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 1:45 pm
One of my kids stayed in a crib until DC was almost 4. The kids loved it, I didnt care, and I didnt listen to anyone elses "expert" opinion.

Bottom line, do what works for YOU!

MrsDash

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 1:45 pm
I'm holding out as long as possible! She's 3 years and still in the crib...

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 1:52 pm
Usually when they start climbing out or need it for another kid Wink , but with my toddler, I took him out earlier because he wanted to.

OheivYisrael

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 3:19 pm
I heard that they can stay until they climb out OR get so tall that they can climb out easily should they ever want to. The article I saw said 36" is that height.

DS is that now, 20 months... and hasn't ever climbed out, but can get his leg over the railing.

Those of you who kept your kids in the crib until 3 or 4, wasn't this an issue for you?

QUEENY

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 3:32 pm
My kids never tried climbing out. They always waited until I got them in the morning. I kept them in their cribs until 3 1/2. Yes, lots of people told me I'm nuts but I got a decent night of sleep. Two years later, they still come to my room several times a night.

MidwestMommy

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 3:34 pm
Not until they climb out or a younger sibling needs it! My son is 2 1/2 and seems to have no idea that he could actually climb out of his crib if he wanted to. I'm certainly not going to be the one to tell him! Smile

mamaleh

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 3:41 pm
My dd stayed in her crib till recently (she's almost 4) we took her out because she seemed cramped in there (she had all kinds of things that she insisted on having in with her). She never tried climbing out, and would even play in there for 1-3 hrs after waking. Now she's in a bed w/ guardrails and she can come out herself but generally doesn't, B"H.

estibesty

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 3:50 pm
I neededt he crib when my 1st was 2 1/2 so he went onto a cool blue car toddler bed my next 2 are 3 1/2 yes apart so he stayed int the crib till 3 1/2 he loved his crib so I dint move him out till I needed it.

MrsDash

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 5:05 pm
QUEENY wrote:
My kids never tried climbing out. They always waited until I got them in the morning. I kept them in their cribs until 3 1/2. Yes, lots of people told me I'm nuts but I got a decent night of sleep. Two years later, they still come to my room several times a night.

I hear that!

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 5:21 pm
I know of someone who has had kids in a crib as late as first grade! There was a money and space issue, and it was a big crib, so the kids didn't seem to mind. But that seems kinda extreme to me.
I think around 2 or 2 1/2 is a good age.

shopaholic

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 6:04 pm
The youngest I moved them was at 2. DD is now 2.2 & I'm keeping her in the crib as long as possible because she's a real trouble-maker & I also can't afford a bunkbed or toddler bed for the room right now.

acccdac

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 8:30 pm
I dont believe in toddler beds so I keep them in the crib as long as possible.

what gets me to take them out is being potty trained at night or another sibling needing the crib.

Laughing Bag!

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 9:16 pm
I would say up to abou 2 1/2 yrs or when other sibling needs the crib. Or as s/o said if child got potty trained.
In my case I would need to take DD out by the time she's 2 cuz I'll be having a baby IY"H soon so I'll need it by then. I would put her in a toddler bed with a safty gate though. I would guess that the difference in the bed can make the child sleep in a different way so child can get used to sleeping in toddler/regular child bed without falling off but a safty gate is always good to use.

mae1984

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 11:20 am
We bought one of thsoe cribs that can conver into a toddler bed and we changed it over about a month ago - when dd was 2 1/2.
I felt that once she was toilet trained she was ready for a 'big girls bed'. It was a low guard rail, she doesn't climb out of it during the night or in the morings, only when she is playing during the day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics