Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Where nr Broadway and 91st street can I wait for someone?

amother

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 3:21 pm
I need to take someone somewhere and I have to wait around for an hour or so. There are no public libraries nearby. Where can I spend some time, preferably sitting?

amother

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 3:23 pm
I dont know a restaurant, a Starbucks ??

nicole81

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 3:27 pm
starbucks is a good option. there's also riverside park not too far away.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 3:32 pm
Barnes and Nobles is a couple of blocks away. 82nd and Broadway.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 3:35 pm
Anything (indoors) in the 90's nr Broadway where I can sit and read a book?

nicole81

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 3:51 pm
starbucks on 93rd and bway

mrsERK

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 3:56 pm
As was said above there is a Starbucks at 93rd (on the east side of the street), there are benches in the middle of the 91st and broadway intersection where you can sit, there is a kosher bagel place at 90th and Amsterdam (Bagel Basket) or a Kosher Dunkn Donuts at 94th and Amsterdam which both have seating.

When do you have to be there? What time of day?

(Not to be creepy but I live at that corner so I might be able to give you some more help if I had more details. Feel free to PM me)

nicole81

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 3:59 pm
mrs ERK I envy you! I spent most of my teenage years hanging out on the UWS every summer and I really miss it!

mrsERK

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 4:11 pm
nicole81 wrote:
mrs ERK I envy you! I spent most of my teenage years hanging out on the UWS every summer and I really miss it!

we love it!! I spent my first summer on the uws when I was a teenager (grew up in a small town but went to Drisha for a summer) and now we've been living here for 3 years. Its really a lot of fun - you should come back Nicole81!

Yocheved84

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 5:27 pm
I second the idea of the Kosher Dunkin Donuts. There's also a bagel/coffee shop on Amsterdam and 92ndish (across the street from 'Ayurveda' restaurant).

amother

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 9:21 pm
OP here. I'm curious.

Re the UWS:

What does a decent three bedroom apartment rent for these days (if you can get one)? What does a decent three bedroom apartment sell for these days?

mrsERK

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 9:52 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. I'm curious.

Re the UWS:

What does a decent three bedroom apartment rent for these days (if you can get one)? What does a decent three bedroom apartment sell for these days?

It really depends on what kind of apartment you're talking about. A brownstone, a sublet of a condo, a doorman luxury rental? Can you give me more of a sense of what you're looking for?

smilingmom

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 10:01 pm
I would go to Michaels. I can spend hours there.
Columbus and 90th.
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/home

mrsERK

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 10:11 pm
smilingmom wrote:
I would go to Michaels. I can spend hours there.
Columbus and 90th.
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/home

Pretty sure you mean COlumbus and 99...

amother

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 10:26 pm
mrsERK wrote:
amother wrote:
OP here. I'm curious.

Re the UWS:

It really depends on what kind of apartment you're talking about. A brownstone, a sublet of a condo, a doorman luxury rental? Can you give me more of a sense of what you're looking for?
Whatever I can afford thats decent (if I can afford anything with selling a Brooklyn house).

mrsERK

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 10:40 pm
I would say that a real three bedroom can range from $3500 to $7000 for rental. I dont know much about the market for buying...

Just as an example - this is a middle end doorman building - http://www.marquisapts.com/apa.....h.php
(When I say middle end I mean that it has a doorman but no other amenities - no gym, roof, etc)

Its a pretty good indicator to look at craigslist just to see the various options. I'm not necessarily recommending looking for your actual apartment there, but just to get a sense.

Sorry I'm not much more help - I live in a 1br so I'm not as familiar with searching for bigger apartments.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 11:51 pm
There goes that idea. Crying

We have an ok (average) income and I own a house in a very very good area in Bklyn. I have tenants paying about 2,000 a month which is what I'd be able to rent my apartment for as well, if Id move. With the two rentals together, I still couldnt afford a three bedroom on the UWS. Looks like you have to be really wealthy to live in a 3 bedroom. Wo!

What do the people do who are living in 1 bedroom apts, when the family gets bigger and they need more bedrooms and their rents double or more?

mrsERK

Post Fri, Jul 23 2010, 9:57 am
Well - Unfortunately the UWS is just so expensive. DH and I are living here with no kids and as much as I love the community, within the next year we'll move to somewhere cheaper (perhaps out of NY) so that we can start having kids, more space, etc.

I know people who have lived in a 1 bedroom apartment - built a wall in their living room to create a second bedroom and proceeded to have three kids all in that same place. Personally, I think that is crazy. [Somehow that seems different to me than when my sister had a 3 bedroom house and her 3 kids chose to sleep in the same room as each other.... A 1 bedroom apartment for 5 people (albeit small people) is a bit much.]

What I would suggest, is if you looking for the UWS specifically, look into brownstones - they tend to be a lot cheaper so you may be able to afford at least a 2 bedroom there. Or - if $4,000 is your budget - then you might consider in that link I sent you above - there are townhouses attached to one of those buildings that are 2 bedrooms easily converted to 3. Maybe its worth it to give them a call?

OR if you're just looking to move - maybe a community like Riverdale would suit you and there the apartments are a lot cheaper.

(But yes, I echo your sentiments that its really hard to live on the UWS and have kids and manage to have space... thats why so many of us move out after a short while)

Yocheved84

Post Fri, Jul 23 2010, 10:02 am
The buildings aren't in the best of shape, but they are the most affordable on the West Side: Brusco Mgt. PM me for details. Also, I have a good contact at CitiHabitats who specializes on the UWS.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 23 2010, 11:18 am
Yocheved84 wrote:
The buildings aren't in the best of shape, but they are the most affordable on the West Side: Brusco Mgt. PM me for details. Also, I have a good contact at CitiHabitats who specializes on the UWS.
Thanks, but this really doesnt make sense for us. I think Ill just keep on looking to buy a small one fam in a diff area of Brooklyn. By comparison, it seems like bargain basement prices in Brooklyn.

Im still curious though how many people can afford to pay between 3500 and 7000 a month, aside from other expenses. What do they do for a living? What percentage of the frum comminity is people living in 3 bedroom apartments?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics