Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
OU pareve stella dora cookies
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 5:58 pm
I know the stella dora cookies have an ou pareve, but is that good enough to eat? they are so yum!

It'sMe

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 6:02 pm
what do you mean by good enough? If you trust the OU hechsher for baked goods than enjoy the cookies. They really are delicious!!!

amother

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 6:20 pm
what I mean is that I hear they are not pas yisroel. whats the deal with that?

egam

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 6:32 pm
They are not Pas Yisroel, as probably most of OU products.

sky

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 6:55 pm
amother wrote:

OU is not makpid on pas yisroel for the cookies

they are yum. Dh is makpid on pas yisrael, I do miss them.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 7:03 pm
amother wrote:

Is anything pas yisroel that isn't labeled so? I've always assumed that if it doesn't say pas yisroel, it isn't.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 7:49 pm
I think at one point they made them oud or dairy equipment and there was such an outcry, they put it back to pareve.

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 8:00 pm
If you eat OU, then enjoy! If you are holier than me, well, cry me a river I'll eat your package... LOL LOL

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 8:08 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
amother wrote:

Is anything pas yisroel that isn't labeled so? I've always assumed that if it doesn't say pas yisroel, it isn't.

There are some, but isn't easy to find out the info. IIRC, the OK website provided that info for items under the hashgocha that weren't necessary labeled so.

Mirabelle

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 8:11 pm
Sometimes I think that even though Stella Dora is an Italian company, only Jewish people eat them!

My husband did not grow up frum and had never heard of them, he thinks they are horrible, but I love them! Reminds me of my childhood.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 8:21 pm
maybe they are pas yisroel. Anyone know? Im having such a craving!

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 8:22 pm
amother wrote:

I was also told that they are not pas yisroel.

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 10:37 am
amother wrote:

They are not Pas Yisrael.

auntie_em

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 11:42 am
Mirabelle wrote:
Sometimes I think that even though Stella Dora is an Italian company, only Jewish people eat them!

Yes Even at the supermarket, I only ever see Jewish people buying them.

They are delicious! I think I need to go buy some today.

mindyme

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 11:43 am
Anyone else call them "streimel cookies"?

Mirabelle

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 12:08 pm
I have to admit, even though I respect others kashrut standards, I have a hard time with people referring to stella d'ora as "not good enough to eat" as if they were traif.

To me Stell D'ora are sacred!!

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 12:27 pm
mindyme wrote:

LOL yups

louche

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 1:08 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
mindyme wrote:

LOL yups

But of course, dollink! Dh called them that and I adopted the term. What a shock to discover others call 'em that, too. I kind of liked the idea of the "family nickname" that was ours alone.

They are not now and never were pas yisroel, and Stella D'Oro was sold to Kraft years and years ago.

While I'm sure that others besides frum Jews eat them, it's clear that we are the major consumers. A number of years back, Kraft planned to switch to a milchik formula for the chocolate filling, and changed the label to (U)D in anticipation thereof. Sales plummeted, and not just in Brooklyn. For many people, these are THE quintessential Shabbos cookie, the reasonably priced grocery-store pareve cookie that you can serve to company when you don't care to spend $16 a lb. for bakery cookies.

The cookies were so much a part of Shabbos that even people who eat non-CY stopped buying them. As good as streimel cookes are, if you're talking milchik, there are many more and better types of cookies on the market. So if they're not pareve, there's no point.

Going milchik hurt Kraft so much that they decided not to change the formula after all. Kraft never made milchik streimel cookies; they had just changed the labels in advance. Which means we were deprived of out Shabbos cookies for a year or more for nothing! But all's well that ends well.

Sort of. Have you noticed the sloppy production of late? The reason we served them to comapny waa that they looked so perfect. But either their machinery needs maintenance or their quality-control peoiple are sleeping on the job, because the perfectly shaped, perfectly-filled, perfectly-centered cookie is a thing of the past. The cookies now look as if they were made by a rookie just learning how to opearte the machine. Still taste good, though.

mazelandbracha

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 2:18 pm
OK, gotta share this recipe here - make your usual cheesecake mixture, but instead of putting it in a pieshell, put shtreimel cookies on the bottom of cupcake papers, and then a spoonful of cheesecake mush. Bake for 10-15 minutes. The chocolate melts. Yummmmmmm.....

solo

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 4:17 pm
Mirabelle wrote:
My husband did not grow up frum and had never heard of them, he thinks they are horrible, but I love them! Reminds me of my childhood.

dunno if its true but I was recently told by someone in the industry that they were sold to a jewish company
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen