Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My baby tore his tongue!!!

pumpernickle

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 10:40 pm
My 19 month old finally started walking bh. He tripped and fell hurting his tongue badly. It tore at the side tip leaving a big flap of tongue hanging. It bled for a while. As it happened afterhours and we needed an oral surgeon we spent a night in the hospital. He was sedated and stitched up. It still looks horrible and it's hanging. I'm crying every time he tries to eat. This happened Monday, today I went back to my pediatrician and he said the stitches are gone and I need to go redo the entire procedure. I'm so overwhelmed and the closest pediatric oral surgeon that accepts oxford is within an hour drive. I work full time and I know I shouldn't complain but I feel soooo bad for my baby. He only likes salty food and that's one thing I gotta avoid. Any suggestions except for ices, yogurt, and other baby foods?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 10:43 pm
oy I really feel for u. one of my children was a tripper. he got glue in the ER went for a followup at the pediatrician who sent us in for stitches! this is a week after. he trips again like 6 weeks after the stitches heal and needs stitches AGAIN. (this wasn't his tongue. but its so overwhelming! but now he's older and all healed up b"H)

life'sgreat

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 10:57 pm
I had my tongue torn when I was about 7 years old and although it hurt badly, it healed rather quickly. I find it interesting that he was stitched. I was told that they can't stitch a tongue and I just had to be careful and eat only jello, ices etc... until it sort of healed. I would suggest you find out if stitching it again is the way to go because a. if the stitches are gone, who's to say that won't happen again? b. a different doctor might recommend that you don't stitch it again.

Don't feel so badly. Accidents happen. My tear happened in school while our grade was playing tag in the hallways, and the grade below us was doing the same. I bumped into MY OWN SISTER (!!) out of probably close to 60 girls and hit her head. Two teeth fell out and one of those teeth cut my tongue.

pumpernickle

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 12:03 am
Lifes great, funny cuz I also tore my tongue when I was a first grader and I also got stitches. Thats why I knew there was such a thing. I do remember it being painful though. Somehow when it happens to your child the pain doubles......

pumpernickle

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 4:08 pm
Ok, I just came home from Columbia medical center. My baby is gonna need surgery on his tongue. I'm so frustrated because I'm gonna have to wait at least 2 weeks for an operating room appointment. Meanwhile they gave me antibiotics for infection.. His tongue has a flap hanging and besides it's looking really bad he can't eat. Heeeelp! I'm soo lost!

Tehilla

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 4:16 pm
pumpernickle wrote:
Ok, I just came home from Columbia medical center. My baby is gonna need surgery on his tongue. I'm so frustrated because I'm gonna have to wait at least 2 weeks for an operating room appointment. Meanwhile they gave me antibiotics for infection.. His tongue has a flap hanging and besides it's looking really bad he can't eat. Heeeelp! I'm soo lost!

How on earth can they make you wait that long? Refuah sheleima to your baby.

yaeli83

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 6:30 pm
oy, refuah shleima... it sounds terrible!

can he eat mashed potatoes, ,made more "runny" w/o salt?
other vegis w/ that consistancy
oatmeal
cold soups

Im really not sure what other foods, Ive never run into this problem...

refuah shleima and I hope he gets the surgery sooner than expected! better yet H should heal him before he needs it!

imamama

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 6:34 pm
Oy! Poor baby and poor mommy! Refua sheleima.

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 11:37 pm
yaeli83 wrote:
oy, refuah shleima... it sounds terrible!

can he eat mashed potatoes, ,made more "runny" w/o salt?
other vegis w/ that consistancy
oatmeal
cold soups

Im really not sure what other foods, Ive never run into this problem...

refuah shleima and I hope he gets the surgery sooner than expected! better yet H should heal him before he needs it!

From my own experience, I don't think mashed potatoes would work, it hurts. Ditto to veggies.

Even acidy, but sweet foods can hurt.

OMG about you also tearing your tongue. And I can't believe they're making you wait two weeks. That's insane.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics