Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
OU pareve stella dora cookies
Previous  1  2

nylon

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 4:32 pm
louche wrote:
Sort of. Have you noticed the sloppy production of late? The reason we served them to comapny waa that they looked so perfect. But either their machinery needs maintenance or their quality-control peoiple are sleeping on the job, because the perfectly shaped, perfectly-filled, perfectly-centered cookie is a thing of the past. The cookies now look as if they were made by a rookie just learning how to opearte the machine. Still taste good, though.

They closed the original bakery in the Bronx and moved production to another bakery in Ohio, where the workers are non-union and don't get the pay or benefits the old workers did.

Mirabelle

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 4:47 pm
When I was in a Bais Yaakov summer camp about 20 years ago there was a bakery theme or something like that and I remember there was a bunk that made up a whole dance about the streimel cookies. That was the first time that I heard that nickname for them.

I guess 20 years ago people werent as machmir about pas yisroel.....

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 6:29 pm
MorahSara wrote:
OK, gotta share this recipe here - make your usual cheesecake mixture, but instead of putting it in a pieshell, put shtreimel cookies on the bottom of cupcake papers, and then a spoonful of cheesecake mush. Bake for 10-15 minutes. The chocolate melts. Yummmmmmm.....
I do this with my extra cheesecake batter. Lol.

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 6:45 pm
nylon wrote:
louche wrote:
Sort of. Have you noticed the sloppy production of late? The reason we served them to comapny waa that they looked so perfect. But either their machinery needs maintenance or their quality-control peoiple are sleeping on the job, because the perfectly shaped, perfectly-filled, perfectly-centered cookie is a thing of the past. The cookies now look as if they were made by a rookie just learning how to opearte the machine. Still taste good, though.

They closed the original bakery in the Bronx and moved production to another bakery in Ohio, where the workers are non-union and don't get the pay or benefits the old workers did.

"Unions" are poison

sky

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 6:48 pm
Mirabelle wrote:
When I was in a Bais Yaakov summer camp about 20 years ago there was a bakery theme or something like that and I remember there was a bunk that made up a whole dance about the streimel cookies. That was the first time that I heard that nickname for them.

I think the same people are. DH has only eaten pas yisroel his whole life. (I feel bad because on one of our dates I brought a BBQ, the rolls were definetly not pas yisroel, but it never even crossed my mind).
I think lubavitch only eats pas yisroel.
It also depends on the city and how available pas yisroel is.
Now more things are available as pas yisroel so it could be that more people are starting to take it on? I dunno.

Mirabelle

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 7:05 pm
sky wrote:
Mirabelle wrote:

I think the same people are. DH has only eaten pas yisroel his whole life. (I feel bad because on one of our dates I brought a BBQ, the rolls were definetly not pas yisroel, but it never even crossed my mind).
I think lubavitch only eats pas yisroel.
It also depends on the city and how available pas yisroel is.
Now more things are available as pas yisroel so it could be that more people are starting to take it on? I dunno.

Perhaps...I just felt like I also went to very frum schools and camps and never heard of it until I was probably in high school.

mazelandbracha

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 8:43 pm
ra_mom wrote:
MorahSara wrote:
OK, gotta share this recipe here - make your usual cheesecake mixture, but instead of putting it in a pieshell, put shtreimel cookies on the bottom of cupcake papers, and then a spoonful of cheesecake mush. Bake for 10-15 minutes. The chocolate melts. Yummmmmmm.....

And it's fabulously yummy, isn't it? Especially warm...oy, now I need some chocolate! Wink

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 9:14 pm
MorahSara wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
MorahSara wrote:

And it's fabulously yummy, isn't it? Especially warm...oy, now I need some chocolate! Wink
They're delicious!

gp2.0

Post Fri, Jul 30 2010, 9:16 am
The bakeries in Brooklyn make a similar (pas yisroel) cookie. I've always loved them! And they don't cost $16 a pound, lol. The only difference is, they put a circle of icing on top of the chocolate. Yum!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen