Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
ISO child's mental health professional reccomendation

amother

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 9:27 am
I am hoping someone here can help me.
my ds, age 6, is an anxious kid.
he is bright, very competative and very nervous.
he is constantly biting his nails, even while playing a game- it almost seems as if he is anxious about the game as well.
he often gets stomach aches.
I know that he will eventually learn to deal with his feelings and that he won't bite his nails forever, but as an adult with anxiety, I know how uncomfortable and opressing the feeling can be.
so I was thinking that if I perhaps took him to a trained professional to talk to, he might learn better coping methods and ways to alleviate the pressure and anxiety so that he will have an easier time as a child and as he gets older.

so, does anyone know
a) what type of trained professional I would be looking for ? (ex: social worker? school psychologist? mental health counselor? therapist?)
b) anyone good in my vicinity? I live in flatbush

thanks so much

amother

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 7:21 pm
anyone? please?

amother

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 7:49 pm
I have a 7 year old daughter with an anxiety disorder. She's been going to a child psychologist for about 6 months and I can really see a difference. I don't think she'll ever be outgoing, but she's showing less anxiety and is able to work through it and calm herself down a lot better. She also is sleeping better. I definitely think you should send your son. Unfortunately, I don't live anywhere near Flatbush or even NY, so I don't have any names to give you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children