Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
DO WE COUNT

amother

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 10:38 pm
im a day care provider. and I have kids full time and part time. I have kids who come even one day a week. im finding more and more that ppl dont bother to pay me unless I beg. I mean seriously owuld you go without paying your electric bill. your phone bill. but your babysitter who watching yoru child your precious neshama you dont. it drives me batty. id otn like running after ppl. begging them for a check. I mean you know how much you owe. I dont have this problem with my full timers its my part timers. one person I finally beged for a check and he doesnt show up. Im a single mother supporting my children I kinda need the money to survive!!!!!!!!!!!! any way thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 11:08 pm
amother wrote:
im a day care provider. and I have kids full time and part time. I have kids who come even one day a week. im finding more and more that ppl dont bother to pay me unless I beg. I mean seriously owuld you go without paying your electric bill. your phone bill. but your babysitter who watching yoru child your precious neshama you dont. it drives me batty. id otn like running after ppl. begging them for a check. I mean you know how much you owe. I dont have this problem with my full timers its my part timers. one person I finally beged for a check and he doesnt show up. Im a single mother supporting my children I kinda need the money to survive!!!!!!!!!!!! any way thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Bah on people that do that! Exploding anger

I think you need to be firm and lay down the law with every part timer. That payment dates are X day. And you give them a typed up bill a week earlier or something. It's tedious, but it might work. If that's a system, then you aren't 'nudging'.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 11:59 pm
if it were me I'd accept a payment up to 2 weeks late while giving 2 friendly reminders, 1 per week (hey, life happens) but more than 2 weeks I'd turn the kid away at the door at drop off time. "I'm so sorry, I can't take him today because I'm giving his slot to another family but when you're ready to pay what you owe we can talk about his slot being available again. I'd love to have him back-- he's wonderful. (said so sweetly)"

If I were dropping my kid off and my kid got turned away at the door for lack of payment I'd be whipping my checkbook out right then and there with a red face and huge apology.

RachelEve14

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 1:18 am
Yes, you need to get tough! In Israel the standard is taking postdated checks for the whole year before the child starts. Also, do you have a contract? I had one this year and found people much more respectful. If you would like to see my sample feel free to PM or e-mail me.

life'sgreat

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 1:50 am
TwinsMommy wrote:
if it were me I'd accept a payment up to 2 weeks late while giving 2 friendly reminders, 1 per week (hey, life happens) but more than 2 weeks I'd turn the kid away at the door at drop off time. "I'm so sorry, I can't take him today because I'm giving his slot to another family but when you're ready to pay what you owe we can talk about his slot being available again. I'd love to have him back-- he's wonderful. (said so sweetly)"

If I were dropping my kid off and my kid got turned away at the door for lack of payment I'd be whipping my checkbook out right then and there with a red face and huge apology.

Hm. I'm not sure this would work with everyone. I can see many people not knowing how to deal with this and mumbling some excuse, leaving and never coming back.

RachelEve14

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 1:56 am
I also wouldn't take late payment. It's like saying "it's okay to pay late, just not more than 2 weeks late." I didn't have an issue with paying late, but I did have an issue with pickup up late. I wrote in my contract everyone gets three "free passes" a year, and after that there is a late fee. Three times a year is "the bus was late" or "something came up we couldn't avoid." More than 3 times you are not respecting my time and that is not okay.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 1:59 am
I sympathize with you. You are not a beggar and should not have to act like one. I worked for an attorney with a similar problem. He would send out a bill and a personal note as follows: Please pay in full. If not, I can no longer service you.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Dec 30 2015, 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

e1234

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 2:16 am
I think that's how it goes.

I have very few clients that I can expect to pay on time - it's very frustrating

and honestly I feel better doing work for those that pay on time as I know I will get paid in the near future for the work.

I hate begging for money owed to me
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers