Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Babysitter etiquette question

onlyme

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 10:18 am
We're having a wedding next a week and I've hired a girl to babysit dd while we're away. I know these things are pretty basic, it's just that I've never had anyone babysit in my house before so I'd love to hear what basic etiquette is in this case.
Sitter will be coming by bus: do I pay her for transportation in addition to what I'm paying her for the hours she'll be watching dd?
We'll probably get home very late and I think dh should drive her home. Is this ok?
She'll be here from about 7:30/8:00 until 11:30/12:00. Do I need to serve her supper or assume she'll eat before and just leave her snacks and drinks?
Should I show her where we keep our books or assume she'll bring her own? Do I tell her to feel free to use the phone (she has a cell)?

Sorry these questions seem silly, but I really don't know! Any tips would be appreciated!

Isramom8

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 10:25 am
onlyme wrote:
We're having a wedding next a week and I've hired a girl to babysit dd while we're away. I know these things are pretty basic, it's just that I've never had anyone babysit in my house before so I'd love to hear what basic etiquette is in this case.
Sitter will be coming by bus: do I pay her for transportation in addition to what I'm paying her for the hours she'll be watching dd?
We'll probably get home very late and I think dh should drive her home. Is this ok?
She'll be here from about 7:30/8:00 until 11:30/12:00. Do I need to serve her supper or assume she'll eat before and just leave her snacks and drinks?
Should I show her where we keep our books or assume she'll bring her own? Do I tell her to feel free to use the phone (she has a cell)?

Sorry these questions seem silly, but I really don't know! Any tips would be appreciated!

Bus - no, unless it's especially expensive because she comes from far.
Drive home - yes - offer to.
Supper - no. Snacks - yes.
Books - show her.
Phone - yes, for emergency calls and if you wanrt her to take your calls. She uses her own for personal calls.

mae1984

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 10:27 am
Your DH should definately drive her home.
Leave snacks etc, you can also show her where she can get herself something to eat (sandwich or similar)
You don't need to pay for her transportation to you, but if she takes a bus/cab home you should pay for that.
Show her where you keep books, mags etc
Show her the phone, let her know if you want her to answer it if someone calls. Let her know if you don't mind her using it for local calls (not cells), and that she should hang up if there is a call waiting.
When I pay my babysitter, I always round up the amount I pay to the nearest note (within reason obvoisly!) So if it comes to say 35 shekel I give her 40 shekel.

Good luck!

onlyme

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 10:43 am
Thanks, both of you! Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette