Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Shutter Island

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 8:39 am
My daughter and I both read the book ovr Shabbos and we continue to be baffled by the ending. Anyone available to shed some light??!
Don't make me see the movie!

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 8:50 am
cant shed any light as I have not read it but I read a synopsis of the book (including the ending) and so can I just ask? is this a very scary book that if I would read it at night I would have nightmares? it sounds interesting.

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 8:53 am
No not at all. It was one of those books with a lot of twists.
I guess one too many at the end.
It would be a great plot for a film but who has time to go to the movies.
I literally read it after shabbos dinner and then passed it along to my daughter without saying anything. I didnt want to sound like a halfwit I hoped she could shed some light. Then motzei shabbos he said "What the heck was with that ending??!" I laughed and felt so relieved--I am NOT the only one..

Ruchel

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 7:35 am
Is the book as HORRIBLE as the movie?? I was unable to look many times.

Aribenj

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 1:18 pm
OK, SPOILER ALERT for those who haven't read it or seen the movie...

It wasn't as clear in the book as it was in the movie, but basically Laeddis decides he'd rather live life with a lobotomy (or whatever it was.. I read the book months ago) then with the memory of what he did. So he decides to pretend he's still living in his own little world, but the other guy is in on it.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 1:22 pm
SPOILERSPOILERSPOILER

Does the book dwells so deeply on the horrible Shoah and dead children so much? I thought some images were barely tolerable. Even my dh was disturbed and said it was one of the worst "gathering" of such images.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room