Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
HELP!!! HOW TO SURVIVE YOM TOV??? NEED ADVICE!!! PLEASE!!

devorahh

Post Fri, Aug 20 2010, 7:41 am
Hi! I need advice from all you experienced mommies and wifes!!
How do you survive yom tov without loosing your minds??

I have a 4 month old and 22 month old and run a montessori playgroup from 9-2. My father is staying with us because he is in a really bad space since they found spots on his lungs and has to wait 6 weeks to find out if chas ve shallom he has machala again. I live in a two bed room 2 familly house.

All my family and closest friends go away for yom tov but we cant since my husband is the chazzan for some of the dovening. So Im pretty much making all the meals and cleaning up solo. I spend most of Sunday preparing food and works for the playgroup.

So my husbands says to me this morning..wow rosh hashana is in 2-3 weeks and I am TOTALLY FREAKING OUT! Last RH was a disaster, I didnt handle it well at all! How will I survive?!

PLEASE HELP ME!!!! ALL ADVICE IS APPRECIATED!!!

Sunflower

Post Fri, Aug 20 2010, 7:45 am
yasher koach to you for all that you do.

do you have freezer space? when you cook over the next few weeks, double and freeze for yom tov.
use paper/plastic to speed up on clean up.
hatzlacha!

flowerpower

Post Fri, Aug 20 2010, 8:40 am
You can make one or two dishes a night and freeze them-make double so you can have for succos too.

Buy food-nothing wrong with that. Meal mart shlishkes is a great side dish.

Don't freak and enjoy the high holidays.

chayamiriam

Post Fri, Aug 20 2010, 8:54 am
Make up a menu for each night and day meal. Start with cooking the main dish and freezing it. One roast can be two or more meals. Chicken soup is great to freeze and could be make ahead with the chicken eaten for supper! You can also bread raw chicken or chicken cutlets. There is a ton of things to do before yom tov that will make it so much easier. Good luck

risa

Post Sat, Aug 21 2010, 10:01 pm
Well, your children are really small so I hope that when you are cooking for YT, you are making super simple meals. Don't make indivdual portions of dessert but instead make a cake or pie with some fruit. Don't make knishes for each person but instead make kugels. Don't get caught up in the salad situation, you really only need one salad per meal. Not every meal needs 3 courses. A night meal could just be a good soup and 2 side dishes. Also, you should not be having any guests at this time in your life. If you are, you need to fix that . Buy some nicer paper plates and disposables. Don't think of it as an expense but as a time saving device and as a way to keep you sane. And, of course, you don't have to make every single thing you eat: BUY IT! Remember: Keep it simple!!

BeershevaBubby

Post Sat, Aug 21 2010, 10:07 pm
Have your father babysit the kids while you cook and freeze.

My plan is to finalize my menu this week and then shop, cook and freeze next week.

ValleyMom

Post Sat, Aug 21 2010, 10:20 pm
Is money an issue??!

Hire a housekeeper and let her clean and the food prep like peeling, slicing, dicing.

OR but some side dish take out.

Certainly buy challah and desert.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur