Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What do you think of Chofetz Chaim's new policy?
Previous  1  2

Chocoholic

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 10:05 am
From Dov Bear:

A certain "Rabbi Wiener" saw the announcement from Yeshiva Tiferes Yisroel about their new Internet policy, and is making the following service available to DovBear readers with children in the school.

Quote:

For a fee of only $1.99 a month, I will act as your Web Chaver and maintain in strict confidence and not divulge to your wife or others the adult Web sites you visit. For an additional $1.99, I will provide you with a monthly list of recommended hot Web sites for your viewing pleasure.

Discounts avaliable to Kollel and Hanhola families as well high volume users.

In conjunction with Yeshiva Tiferes Yisroel, I will soon be offering the following additional services:

-- Supervised "Key" Parties (limited to Marine Park residents)

-- Web cam bedroom monitoring

-- Acting as your wife's mikveh 'lady'

-- Massage Therapy

Finally, be sure to look out for our upcoming publication "Rabinically Sanctioned s-xual Positions." (Available only in Hard Cover).

Please contact the Rabbi directly for registration information.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 11:29 am
sarahd wrote:
shabbat, that's what chazal say. "En apotropus le-arayos."

Internet does not equal arayos.

dina23

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 12:32 pm
As a young mother, my oldest son is entering kindergarten. My approach to internet is as follows. It is a double edged sword, it can be used for great things that make your life easier and puts a world of knowledge at your fingertips. The flipside is that it can also provide access to content we obviously wouldnt want our children seeing, ([filth] and the like). I feel that if a home is set up in such a way that the computer is in a public place and parents are on top of the history then you will be ok. Already now internet and [filth] can be on any phone, ipod ect. If your son wants it he will find a way to watch it. Therefore I think a policy such as this is sort of going to be ineffective. Anyone who wants it will find a way to use it and also there are many many private searches that I personally have done on medical conditions that I would never want anyone to know not even my best chaver!
Perhaps the school just wants to present themselves as the "frummest of them all"? I think in recent years they have developed a reputation for being the most modern of the Brooklyn yeshivas?
And hello it made the New York Post, its pretty attention grabbing!

gold21

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 12:51 pm
it sounds like a strange system to me... like ones' neighbor gets to find out that she's planning a romantic vacation to the poconos, she's newly pregnant, she suspects that she may have lice, she buys her bras from a plus-size shop catering only to very large bust sizes, her husband has athletes foot, her daughter is anorexic, her son has a bed-wetting problem, etc, all based on the sites she visits? its also surprising because chofetz chaim is not even considered a very yeshivish school! its a very good frum yeshiva, but its considered a litle to the left of the very yeshivish schools. why cant they just ask the parents to install a reliable filter instead of this Web Chaver?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 12:59 pm
I think it was a noble attempt with good intentions to address a large problem that affects many families as proven here on imamother- gone really bad. Right idea, wrong solutuion. I think it will make the issues worse, not better. I don't think people will comply either.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 1:00 pm
I know that where I live there is a system in place that is VOLUNTARY, but it goes like this. You sign up for service with Guard your Eyes, and there is a central place where the websites you visit gets sent. If, and only if there is a website you visit that has adult content (ie, [filth] or whatever), the person YOU chose to be your chaver, in our case our Rav, receives a report. Hey, I like the system. We chose to install it and we chose to make our Rav our chaver-the threat of our Rav finding out we were where we don't belong should be enough to keep us squeaky clean.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 1:26 pm
sarahd wrote:
shabbat, that's what chazal say. "En apotropus le-arayos."
but just because someone has the internet does not mean that they are automatically going to comite adultery or any of the other arayot.
and the article did not say that, it said that "we can not trust our selves". sorry but that is the lamest excuse ever. you are an adult, you have to take stock of your actions.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 1:39 pm
amother wrote:
I know that where I live there is a system in place that is VOLUNTARY, but it goes like this. You sign up for service with Guard your Eyes, and there is a central place where the websites you visit gets sent. If, and only if there is a website you visit that has adult content (ie, [filth] or whatever), the person YOU chose to be your chaver, in our case our Rav, receives a report. Hey, I like the system. We chose to install it and we chose to make our Rav our chaver-the threat of our Rav finding out we were where we don't belong should be enough to keep us squeaky clean.

Your DH will eat his pork elsewhere

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 1:45 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

Your DH will eat his pork elsewhere
as this amother says, if the home computer is not allowed to get [filth] and that sort of thing because of the chaver thing and the service to watch what you look at, if someone really wants to be looking at something not appropriate they will find other means to do it. so then what is the true point of this? nothing...........

amother

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 4:36 pm
They should have little chips installed in everyone's home, car, and phone, and follow everyone's move every day. No one should have any choices, and we will all behave properly all the time.

bubby

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 7:36 am
amother wrote:
They should have little chips installed in everyone's home, car, and phone, and follow everyone's move every day. No one should have any choices, and we will all behave properly all the time.

There is something like that. It's called Government Interference & Regulation. The Census tried to do it. The tax man does it. Anti-smoking regulators do it. The list is long. And don't forget the best one, the one my DH is heavily involved in....banks spying on you. Oh, yeah! shock

faigie

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 7:58 am
Sounds like that big brother program come to life. Thing is parents will comply, giving them all the power they need to continue making policies just like this one is the future.
In my DH shule its a huge joke. DH has had several requests for him to be their chaver!! Iwas ROFL*.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics