Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How to tell neighbor nicely to stop stinking up the hall

amother

Post Sat, Sep 04 2010, 9:52 pm
I just got married and moved into a really nice apartment complex outside NY. they have valet garbage pickup 5 days a week. our neighbors are very sweet people but the two days that there is no pickup they let their trash pile up outside their door. we are the only neighbors on the same floor and therefore the only ones that suffer with the horrible stench for two days a week. I gag every time I step outside my door and its really starting to get to me. WWYD? how can I tell her without offending her that its really rude to do that? if the garbage smells she can easily put it on the porch so noone has to smell it.

amother

Post Sat, Sep 04 2010, 10:20 pm
anyone?

saw50st8

Post Sat, Sep 04 2010, 10:32 pm
Call the building management. Tell them that you are new to the building and don't want to make waves with your neighbor so just ask if they can call and remind your neighbors not to leave trash out on non trash days.

SingALong

Post Sat, Sep 04 2010, 11:05 pm
can you say,

"please stop stinking up the hall"

ok realistically speaking, you can explain that the garbage bothers you and is there anywhere else they can keep it until garbage pickup?

amother

Post Sat, Sep 04 2010, 11:57 pm
First of all, go over and introduce yourselves as the new neighbors next door and be very polite and frinedly every time you see them. Only after a few days of being friendly and starting to build a possitive relationship with your neighbors would it be appropriate to say anything. And then you can just say in a nice way "would you mind to put your garbage outside so that it doesn't smell in the hallway?"
I do not think that you should call building management because they will know that the call came from you (since you're the only other neighbors on the floor) and that's not a good way to start off as new neighbors (after all you might just need to borrow sugar one day Smile ).

IloveHashem613

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 12:13 am
Personally, I would go over to them and be very nice about it but also diplomatic and say it like it is. That the smell of the trash is very bothersome to you and if they could please find another arrangement for the days that its not being picked up. Its not like you are asking some crazy outlandish request, its a very reasonable thing to ask so just say it like it is. Only if the don't comply, then you can start complaining to the management of the building...

mini

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 1:10 am
maybe u should do the same u know
u see the mistakes by other people
like yhis maybe she would get the message

mammala120

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 1:19 am
easy. the same way my down stairs neighbor was able to send her husband complainig that my kids wake her up too early (they wake up like 7) mind you she has a baby and will be waking up for baby early as well when shcool time starts. and all the neighbers in my building have kids same age as mine who make tuns of running, jumping waking up early noice.

so go ahead don't feel bad,,,,,send your husband with complaint

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 1:21 am
mammala120 wrote:
easy. the same way my down stairs neighbor was able to send her husband complainig that my kids wake her up too early (they wake up like 7) mind you she has a baby and will be waking up for baby early as well when shcool time starts. and all the neighbers in my building have kids same age as mine who make tuns of running, jumping waking up early noice.

While it's true that she will be waking up early at one point, I think that as long as the noise is at a normal level for kids, it's fine. What isn't fine is if the kids jump, and/or make a racket at 7am.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 1:34 am
I guess I will just grit my teeth and ask her nicely. my husband is pretty shy so I doubt he will do it.

ulimom

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 2:45 pm
I dont think there is any problem with diplomatically asking to please not leave your garbage outside in the hall. it stinks up the place.

Quote:
mammala120 wrote:

While it's true that she will be waking up early at one point, I think that as long as the noise is at a normal level for kids, it's fine. What isn't fine is if the kids jump, and/or make a racket at 7am.

that really depends in which part of the world youre living in.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry