Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How many guests do you have for shabbos on an average week?

Company

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 8:53 am
How many guests do you have for shabbos on an average week?

aidelmaidel

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 9:44 am
It depends on the week and the time of year.

We tend to have more guests in the summer because we are one of the few families that stay "in-town" during the summer.

Friday night in the summer especially we try to limit the guests because it is late for both the kids and US!

Sometimes we have none, sometimes 1 or 2, sometimes we have 8, it just depends on the shabbos.

As a couple we have come to the agreement that we check in with each other before inviting guests or saying yes to anyone.

The one thing we have learned is that since all of our chevra have on average 4-5 little kids that if we have a family over as guests, we can't really have anyone else - two families' worth of kids is enough thank you very much!

Since we moved from a third floor to a first floor apartment, we have A LOT more "drop in" guests on shabbos afternoon - for dessert, to hang out and shmooze, for the kids to play together, etc.

I do really like having just one guest sometimes so that you can give them your full attention - much more intimate. Smile

Average has to be for average for YOUR FAMILY. It's okay to say to no to guests if you have had a hard week. Very Happy

fiddle

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 9:58 am
none. its a day we use to spend time with eachother

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 10:17 am
This is the first week we're having guests in quite a few months. We're having three people over.

LondonIma

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 10:43 am
We have no eruv, so the kids and I are stuck in- Guests are the only way I see people on shabbos. Many of our friends are still "couples" so we'll have 3 couples for dinner (kids tend to be asleep and its nice to have grown up time) and lunch we'll sometimes have 2 families or 3 for an open style Seuda/Play date. I actually find that on the occasion we decide to have a "quiet" one by the time Shabbos goes out both DH and I are reminded why we have guests in the first place. It's a VERY long day with the kids and guests (even other adults) help to pass the time.

flower345

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 10:44 am
we have already been married over a year but I find having loads of guests too stressful Confused. I've had different families over the year but I'm worried to have the ones with 3 kids or more as there are no toys or anything for kids to do in our house. I think my husband would like it if we entertained more he doesnt say so but he's the type. I have friend that have 13 people for every shbs meal I don't know how they manage, but I defintily agree with aidelmaidel about having fewer guests so you can spend more attention with them, iv'e been so many times to families that have like 18 guests at the shabs table and I've never liked it.

overworked

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 10:51 am
99.9% that my shabbos table is with NO guest

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 11:29 am
Us neither. At night, year-round, we're tired; and by day we usually eat in shul. I push myself to have guests more on yomtov, but it's not easy since I work full time, including erev yomimtovim, and on yomtov itself I am in shul.

Dev80

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 3:40 pm
I'm still in Shana Rishona, and we have guests for shabbos day very often. we can't seat more than six at this point, so anywhere from 2 to 4 guests. We enjoy having guests, we have couples or bochurim, and for the most part it's nice and not to stressful. The only problem we have is how to end the meal and hint to the guests to leave as we like to take our shabbos naps Smile

Mrs.K

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 3:45 pm
About 8

yOungM0mmy

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 5:30 pm
We usually have one family at a time, so 4 or 5, and have a few singles who regularly ask to come. Saying that, today we had 50 Wink

Aidelmom

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 5:33 pm
none

lachick

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 7:04 pm
never more then 6 we only have 8 chairs, and im the type who spends all week in the kitchen if im having guest scared to think if id have more the 6 how nutty id be!!

Raisin

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 8:55 pm
about 10, but 25 is normal too. my dh hosted 20 last night and I am away from home.

heffer569

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 9:18 pm
On average 14 sometimes more sometimes less and almost never Fri Night its hard for us or our friends to go out fri night its late kids need their sleep. Shabbos day on the other hand is a day to get together we all either work or what not and shabbos is the only time we have to get together. Plus im the type id rather have 40 ppl here (which on yom tov is normal for me) then go out to a meal but thats me.

shemesh

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 9:27 pm
average 15 friday nights, shabbos day we spend time with our kids

4ofus

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 10:45 pm
None, it's way to expensive although I would love it.

Aribenj

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 11:45 pm
Average is 12-17, including children (but not babies)
I wish I could have more, but I physically cannot fit them into my apartment...

Happy18

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 3:19 pm
usually 2-8. It really depends on the time of year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen